Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I didn't see an announcement, but I am watching a series on Netflix and I have confirmed that the spatial audio icon is animated.

When was this released?

khanmein

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
Are you guys serious? I just saw the Dolby icon only. Where’s the icon for spatial audio? Thanks and cheers.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I've test it on the movie "Fatherhood" and it really works.
Hmmmm...has 'AD)))' with 'Audio Description Available' under 'more info' but....no dice when trying to click for more info (Netflix app on MBPro). Will have to check on the ATV.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I was watching the Netflix series Korean Drama "Start-up" and it started playing in the spatial audio. I then tried the original Star Trek and that also was working in spatial audio.

Works both on the iPhone and iPad, 12 Pro Max and iPad 2021.

But a friend of mine can't get it to work on his iPhone 11 Pro Max.

While the video is playing on the iPad or iPhone, go into the control center, press on the AirPods Pro sound slider, and then you'll see the spatial audio icon. If you're playing spatial audio it will have the waves around the figure moving, and not still or static.

Are you guys serious? I just saw the Dolby icon only. Where’s the icon for spatial audio? Thanks and cheers.
As described above.

Reactions: khanmein

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Hmmmm...has 'AD)))' with 'Audio Description Available' under 'more info' but....no dice when trying to click for more info (Netflix app on MBPro). Will have to check on the ATV.
I don't think spatial audio is supported on the Macs until the newest OS that is currently in beta is released.

But it definitely works on iOS iPhone and iPad.

Just try to see if the spatial audio icon is moving while playing the Netflix show to see if spatial audio is working for that show as described in my post above.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I was watching the Netflix series Korean Drama "Start-up" and it started playing in the spatial audio. I then tried the original Star Trek and that also was working in spatial audio.

Works both on the iPhone and iPad, 12 Pro Max and iPad 2021.

But a friend of mine can't get it to work on his iPhone 11 Pro Max.

While the video is playing on the iPad or iPhone, go into the control center, press on the AirPods Pro sound slider, and then you'll see the spatial audio icon. If you're playing spatial audio it will have the waves around the figure moving, and not still or static.

As described above.
I assume with the correct AirPodsPros right? Not from the iPhone or Ipad internal speakers?

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Yes; I know. Just wanted to confirm your particular set-up. Thanks.
I use the Airpod Pro which I used on both the iPad and the iPhone and it works on both.

The Airpod Max also supports spatial audio and I think it is on sale at Best Buy and Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.