Netflix Streaming Crashes Computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dberger1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. dberger1 macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue in which my entire computer is crashing (I think) when streaming on Netflix. The screen will go crazy displaying random pixels (looks almost like an 8-bit video game): [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The audio will continue to play, but there will be no cursor or image beyond that. There is literally no way to do anything except to shut the computer off entirely.

This has happened a number of times across multiple browsers (I usually use Chrome). I'm running a MacBook Pro, 2.4 Intel Cor i5 w/ 4 GB Ram. Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (standard in the computer).

Any thoughts? Anyone having a similar problem?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Nope, I just finished watching Tron on Netflix and did not have any issues. I have never heard of this before. Is it only Netflix or are you also having similar with other video streaming websites? How about games? Sounds like an issue which should be consulted by an Apple genius, IMO.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight installed?

4. dberger1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the latest version of Silverlight...

Thanks,
    Dan

5. mcwilltron macrumors newbie

I hear ya

I'm having the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro. I may get a minute into a show on Netflix and the screen becomes distorted like an 8 bit game as you mentioned and I can control nothing short of shutting down with the power button. I've emptied my cache and updated Silverlight. Still happens. I had a similar freeze with a video from espn.com and i had to shut down as well. Which makes me worried its more than Netflix. Does anybody have a better idea? would be much appreciated. Its freaking me out and i want to watch X Files.