Netflix streaming issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TsMkLg068426, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Yep it has now it does not stream in Super HD and strange buffering and I did check all my connection Airport says excellent and tested my download speed which is perfectly fine. This usually is happening during the evenings not sure where the problem is but I believe this is between Apple TV and Netflix which both need to work with each other now or else I am annoyed.

Or can someone help me out if this situation is on my end.:confused::mad:

2. kolax macrumors G3

If it happens during the evenings, your ISP is probably throttling your speeds during peak times.

3. TsMkLg068426 thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay I have done a speed test to see if something is up from my ISP and the speed is fine so I am assuming that has nothing to do with what you are saying?

4. Football Dad macrumors newbie

Both of my ATVs have started streaming in sd since the update.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

6. TsMkLg068426 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good that I am not the only one who is having this issue it is just strange the TV Show or movie starts few seconds in it stops and buffers than it plays in SD instead of Super HD it all starts fine but just few seconds in I have to keep on restarting the movie or episode to get the right quality.

7. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too. Very annoying but not dire.

8. nconnella macrumors regular

Definitely something is going on. My appletv has always been my netflix streaming device of choice but as of late it's been lower than DVD quality. PS3, computer and ipad all look fine. ISP confirms internet speeds are fine. Going to call apple tomorrow if I can. I'm guessing a recent update screwed things up.... Thanks apple.

9. Imran27 macrumors newbie

That's exactly describes my issue with Netflix on Apple TV3. I submitted bug report to apple. Contacted netflix and was told everything is fine at their end.

10. Football Dad macrumors newbie

11. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

I can confirm that since the latest update, there is something going on with Netflix streaming. I drop to really low-bitrate SD, even though I measure 57mbps down with Speednet.

So, something is definitely screwed up with the latest Apple TV update.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Same problem with me and sometimes the SD is really bad , I know it is not my connection speed

13. InTheAir macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I sent the following:

During peak times especially (but not exclusively), Netflix streaming will downgrade to standard definition (or worse).

Setup- Comcast cable (indicating 28 Mbps download during these downgrade times when measured by speedtest.net over same WIFI as ATV3)
    ATV 3 with 6.0.2
    Hulu remains HD during these times
    YouTube remains HD during these times

Netflix playback may start at HD for a few seconds, then will pause, buffer, and restart with SD or below. Sometimes, Netflix will downgrade and after some time will upgrade to HD again, and then back down.

Ran Netflix test video and during downgrade times, test video indicates 225 to 750 bps. In normal HD times, test video indicates 5800.

Netflix website resolution set to 'Auto' and also tried 'Best'. No effect.