Netflix streaming on new Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kilgore-Trout, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Kilgore-Trout macrumors newbie

I'm considering getting the new 13" i5 Air, and I'm wondering how well it streams Netflix. Obviously it can handle the video -- my 4 year old MacBook can handle the streaming, however, it gets really hot and the fans spin up to insane levels.

Has anyone streamed a few Netflix movies on the new Air? Does it get too hot/noisy?

Thanks in advance!

2. kjlake macrumors member

Worked fine for me. Streamed about 2hrs worth of video, got a little warm but perfectly acceptable.

3. YEEZY macrumors member

Mine got a little hot at the bottom of the display, but I checked iStat and it was perfectly fine. If you were fine with your Macbook handling Netflix, then I think the MBA will be perfectly adequate for your needs :cool:

4. Kilgore-Trout thread starter macrumors newbie

What about fan noise?

5. kytiger macrumors newbie

Stopped my subscription

I stopped my Netflix subscription the day they increased the price 60%. I can see a price increase, but 60% is crazy.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This is pretty OT and quite frankly misguided because they haven't increased their prices yet.

7. Scuba629 macrumors regular

My fans get to 3k at most watching on Safari. I don't think it gets hot or loud period! :)

8. stevenpa macrumors 6502

It starts September 1st if you are a subscriber, are you actually reading the news?

In terms of noise/fan/performance it works fine. Not streaming in HD though.

9. Kilgore-Trout thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that after streaming for several hours, though?

10. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Yeah 2.5 hour movie

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I'm currently out of the country and can't stream on netflix, so I've resorted to flash sites to watch movies and TV shows.

My 11 inch sandy bridge 1.5 gets really hot and the fans go up to about 6,000 rpm after about 30-40mins of streaming, and the frame rate drops to unacceptable levels. Is this just because I'm streaming off of flash sites (like novamov)? Or is it my computer?

Thanks.