Netflix streaming?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jnguyen0390, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jnguyen0390 macrumors newbie

Does anyone here have netflix? I am thinking of trying the free trial. Is the normal plan for just streaming alone 7.99 per month? And how many devices can stream at once?

Thank you any help you can provide.

2. Annerz macrumors regular

I have it. I think it's worth getting. $8 is streaming only - no DVDs. I'm not sure how many devices you can have it streaming on. I use it on the iphone, xbox and macbook

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yes streaming alone is 7.99. you can have up to 5 devices registered at one time.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

So far I have been able to stream in several devices at the same time without any extra cost: PS3, Mac, iPhones, iPad 2.

I have a plan with 3 blu-ray discs for way more than that, but I think that is the price.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Works great on the iPad. Even works over 3G if you have that too. For me, 3G performs great!

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have had netflix for over a year now and I am never happy with the online content they offer. The DVD's are great but there is a very limited content on the web and I don't think it is worth the $7.99 after a month or so of usage. My 2 cents.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think it depends on what you are looking to watch. I've been more than happy with the selection, especially with having 4 year old twins at home. There is a ton of children's programming. I also think they have a pretty good selection of documentaries. Do they have new releases? No...but I'm definitely getting my $8 worth. Especially with the ability to watch on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, and ATV2.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Me too. I also opted for the unlimited streaming+one dvd at a time plan. Although their online selection is very good already (and getting better as the days go by), they still don't have everything. For that reason I like the option of being able to get a dvd to watch whatever I want.

9. stev3n macrumors 6502

I have the Unlimited Streaming and 1 DVD plan. I use it almost everyday, from my Wii, iPhone 4, and Mac Mini. In my opinion, it's definitely worth it.

10. Matt1234 macrumors newbie

Documentaries on web streaming

if you are into documentaries, there is alternative to Netflix, with far more collection, and is free as well.

www.cultureunplugged.com

check it out.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That's very cool...thanks for posting the link! :)

12. erawsd macrumors 6502

With the 7.99 plan you are only supose to be able to stream one movie at a time. However, I've found I can stream from my HTPC and IPad at the same time. I couldn't get any other combo to work with my iPad though; PS3, Xbox, and iPhone all gave me an error.

13. taipan61 macrumors 6502

been a member for a number of years now and find the content pretty good on the streaming side and since i'm a fan of older movies i really enjoy the DVD selection.
    have found that the steaming works very well and usually watch something daily.

(thanks for the link!)

14. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

$8 gives you two devices streaming at once. Trying to bring up a third gives you a message that two many other devices are using the service.

I wish they would give a tiered system; I would pay to get three devices streaming at the same time. My 9 yo seldom wants to watch the "horseland" and my little pony and whatnot that my 5yo daughter likes...

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, I do.

Yes, that is the price.

Back when all subscriptions included both streaming and discs, the number of simultaneous streams was dependent on the number of discs in your plan. 1 disc = 1 stream. 2 discs = 2 streams. Etc. However, the plans are now split and you can have streaming with no discs, so I don't know what the current formula is. I do know you can have 50 devices registered to your account (prior to June 2011, the cap was six devices).

16. xMClass macrumors 6502

I use Netflix on my iPad regularly. I have 4 streaming devices currently, my iMac, iPhone, iPad and Xbox 360. Works quite well. I used to have a streaming AND DVD plan but since Netflix is raising their prices, I decided to drop the DVD plan and go with streaming only.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

In terms of streaming (I have the unlimited dvd (1 out at a time) and streaming; I should also mention that I will cancel Netflix as they increased their prices), my Netflix account recognizes all my computers as a single device. In other words, my family of 5 have a computer each and even though Netflix should show 5 devices (excluding iPhones and iPads), it only shows 1 (which is cool I guess).

Anyways, like I mentioned above and someone else corrected me as well - even though it is based on personal preference, I do not see myself paying $7.99 just for their online content. IMO, Amazon has better titles in terms of streaming only and I get that for only $40/YR (which is much cheaper). I get it for only 40 and not 80 because according to their email I am a long time customer so I get discounted pricing (not sure why but great I guess).

18. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

If op still reads this and still needs advice- it(Netflix) works well with the iPad. I don't believe it takes up a device spot either- ps3/xbox do. But I really don't remember adding the iPad or iPhone.

Take into consideration the recent price hike they announced recently.

19. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I wish there was an Amazon VOD app so I can say bye to NetFlix for increasing their price. Amazon is cheaper than NetFlix for stream only. One thing my wife and I like to do is stream a NetFlix movie by the bay at night... when we have our date night away from the kids.