Netflix Subscriber Data Reveals 70% of Global Streaming Ends Up on TVs, 10% on Phones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix this week gave a briefing to a group of reporters in its Los Gatos, California company headquarters, revealing data about its subscribers' device streaming habits and how these habits might change over the course of a few months (via Recode). While the information isn't particularly shocking, it is one of the rare times that Netflix has provided data and opened up about the streaming habits of its users.

[​IMG]

In terms of global Netflix user signups, 40 percent of signups happen on a Mac or PC, but after six months those users have dwindled down to just 15 percent still watching Netflix on their computer. Over time, users understandably migrate to larger screens, with 70 percent of total global Netflix streams ending up on television sets six months after first signing up.

Under TVs and computers, smartphones represent 10 percent of Netflix streaming six months after signing up, followed by tablets at just 5 percent.

[​IMG]
    Netflix graphs via Recode

While there are some exceptions, this largely stays true across various countries around the globe. In Italy, for example, 36 percent of users are signing up for Netflix on their computer and 54 percent are spending most of their viewing hours on a TV set. Thailand users are predominantly signing up on their smartphones, but viewing habits are nearly equal between TV (35 percent) and computers (29 percent).

[​IMG]

The favoritism for TV continues when broken down by genres, although there are slight variations in percentages where device preference varies from genre to genre. Kids shows, for example, are the least popular on computers and the most popular on TVs, while also favoring handheld devices like iPhones and iPads. Dramas have popularity on iPhones and other handheld products, while Documentaries are the third most popular genre to stream on a TV, behind Kids and Family.

[​IMG]

CNET had a few additional tidbits of information, stating that about 25 percent of Netflix's total global streaming for any given day happens on mobile networks, as users watch shows or movies on the go. Users also tend to watch movies more often on weekend evenings, while gravitating towards shorter TV show episodes during the hours of the day.

Earlier this week, Netflix said that it will soon add expanded parental controls across devices in the coming months, including the ability for parents to add a PIN lock to individual TV shows and movies. Ratings will also be more prominently displayed across Netflix apps and when content begins playing, so parents are more aware if shows and films are appropriate for their children.

As soon as April, Netflix will be rolling out vertical video clips that provide 30-second snippets of the service's most popular content as a way to provide users with a quick glimpse into what the shows and movies are about.

Article Link: Netflix Subscriber Data Reveals 70% of Global Streaming Ends Up on TVs, 10% on Phones

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I just can’t understand why anybody want to stream a movie on their phone versus an iPad or TV. I’m sure there are some, but I just can’t watch a movie or TV show on my iPhone with a display that small.

3. agsystems macrumors 6502a

" including the ability for parents to add a PIN lock to individual TV shows and movies"
    I would welcome that - I was going to binge watch Altered Carbon on my main TV and 5 minutes in - a guys shows up naked and then 15 minutes later another guy comes up with a full frontal package (Game of thrones style)

4. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

And Netfilx just rolled out a feature that lets people see trailers in portrait mode. :rolleyes:

5. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

I stream on every device we have. Not the phone often but the tablets the kids are streaming all the time. If Netflix increased price to $20 a month would still pay. We don’t have cable so it’s all we have and great so far.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

More importantly - 85% of video is watched on devices in landscape mode! People, stop shooting videos in portrait mode!!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    I download movies for offline viewing onto my iphone plus for watching on an airplane. Even though most likely the screen in the seat is larger, the options they have available are total crap.

7. jesChexin macrumors newbie

What's a TV?

- iPad loving Millennial Scout from the :apple: commercial.

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65832

thisisnotmyname

Honestly not surprising. I'll watch video on my phone when I don't have a better option available but there's almost always an Apple TV I can stream to (or if not I'll buy one).

9. TheColtr macrumors 6502

I exclusively watch video content on my 65 inch tv. YouTube videos I’ll watch on my iPad. Short little video clips I may watch on my iPhone when I’m out and about, but 99 percent of the time my phone use used for audio content only.

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Also on the subway. I think people forget that everyone's needs/uses are different.

11. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Or since people obviously can't learn this lesson after many years now, how about the phone makers sense the orientation of the phone and shoot in landscape either way? The camera sensors are well beyond 4K resolution in both dimensions. Maybe this "fix" should lie with the device makers?

If that's too complicated, how about a video prompt screen encouraging users to rotate their devices so they end up with a landscape video instead of the thin vertical kind. Remind people a few times and many will learn the right way to use their devices for (better) video results.

12. now i see it macrumors 68000

After watching a few videos and movies on a plus sized iPhone, I've never used the 55" TV ever again. The regular sized iPhone screen is too small, the plus size is perfect. I even tried watching movies on an iPad. Inferior viewing experience for me because it's so unweildy and heavy. With a TV you're trapped in the same room sitting on the same couch. With an iPhone plus you can lie down anywhere.
    The iPhone plus screen is relatively small compared to a TV, but the TV is much farther away. If you measure the viewing angle from side to side while holding an iPhone plus compared to a medium sized TV on the far wall, the relative screen sizes are almost the same (because the iPhone is so much closer). Also no TV will ever be as sharp as an iPhone plus.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My kids watch netflix on their phones all the time. I'm surprised at how low the number is for that category

14. Abiatha Swelter macrumors member

Abiatha Swelter

Oh, the horror.

15. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not surprising. Who wants to sit and watch a 1+ hour TV show on their little phone screen when you can buy a cheap device to stream it to your TV instead.

16. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I use Netflix on my tv right in front of me, but in bed I loved the 7 plus for Netflix. With the X I love watching it with the round corners, nice wide screen and most importantly very clear.

17. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Television: the ultimate phablet. If only people could easily take it on the subway, etc...

18. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502a

A lot of people feel they need to have a smart phone to accomplish their many activities. A TV is an expense that is only good for two activities (passively watch entertainment and games). Since many people have limited funds (and credit) they will spend money on smart phone and not spend money on a TV and streaming device. A TV and cheap streaming device is the price of several meals and articles of clothing (many people live paycheck to paycheck). They also may not have the money for a large enough home to have a TV space.

19. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I use all three of my devices iPhone 8 plus, iPad, Apple TV. When I’m at work I use my iPad and iPhone. At home I’ll use my Apple TV. Netflix on iPhone 8 plus looks great. Yes your correct the screen is not as big as the iPad but it shows pretty good.

20. kstotlani macrumors 6502

There is an extremely large population that will continue to use their phones in portrait mode while shooting video. We are now in minority. Check people out in sports stadiums, soccer mom/dads, concerts, everyone has their phone in portrait. I like your idea of device makers anyway shooting in landscape. Maybe there could be a setting.

21. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I agree- just do it (make it shoot in Landscape regardless of how it is held). Make that default with maybe a toggle for some special situation where someone would want to shoot something in that thin vertical strip? It's been way too many years now for people to not learn & adapt on their own. They need help... a "push" if you will... or at least a prompt encouraging them to rotate the device to shoot landscape (that they could override).

But yes, I see people shooting video everywhere with the phone vertically oriented. It appears people just prefer to hold it that way when shooting video. So, again, maybe the phone makers "fix" the problem by allowing them to keep doing what they are doing but shooting landscape when it's held that way too.

22. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

I always watch my tv shows on my iPad or iPhone with AirPods on cuz my attention span is horrible on tv. I usually drift off on my phone if I watch something on tv and when the credits come on I am like „wait? What actually happened?“

23. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Ok guys since this subject came up. I’m trying to figure out under the Netflix app. When you go to more and then under app settings scroll all the way down until you see what phone your using. Mine says iPhone 8 Plus and then under neath it has a space bar showing in the color gray for how much space you have use. In the middle it shows Netflix and at the end it show free. Now my question is, how do I find out what is been use for me to have just a little space left?

24. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

You don’t understand. You can’t walk down a busy sidewalk or drive a car while carrying a 60” 4k tv. You can do both those things when viewing an iPhone.

At least for a while.

25. tech3475 macrumors 6502

I can when theres no better alternative to hand.