Netflix Testing New 'Ultra' Tier of Service That Cuts Premium Plan Streams From Four to Two

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix is reportedly testing a new tier of service for subscribers that supersedes the existing top tier Premium plan, according to Italian blog Tutto Android.

Titled "Ultra", the new plan would allow up to four devices to receive Ultra HD and HDR video, and audio streaming at the same time. In Italy, the tier is priced at 16.99 euros, or approximately $19.80.

[​IMG]
    Image credit: Evan Davis

Netflix has three subscription plans at present: Basic ($7.99), Standard ($10.99), and Premium ($13.99). Basic subscribers can watch Netflix on one screen at a time, Standard enables simultaneous viewing on two screens, and Premium allows up to four screens to be used at once to stream the service.

Commenting on the story, Netflix provided CNET with the following statement:
    Saran went on to say that not all Netflix subscribers would see the Ultra tier currently being tested, and the company many never offer the plan and its features to a wider base.

Promotional screens suggests that HDR would be exclusive to the Ultra plan, while the above screenshot implies that the number of simultaneous streams for existing Premium users would get reduced from four to two, with only Ultra subscribers getting four at the higher price. Similarly, users on the Standard plan appear to be getting only one stream instead of the usual two.

If the Ultra tier was ever to be officially adopted, it would essentially mean existing Premium users having to pay around $6 more for the same level of service they're used to.

Netflix has increased the price of its subscription plans in the past. Back in November the company hiked its Standard plan by $1 and its top Premium plan by $2.

Article Link: Netflix Testing New 'Ultra' Tier of Service That Cuts Premium Plan Streams From Four to Two

2. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Basically a price hike, as the top tier "Ultra" plan is not giving anything additional over what the premium gives now.

3. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

So long as the Premium keeps the 4K feed, etc. this is fine with me. We only upgraded to Premium for 4K, not extra simultaneous devices.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Reminded me that I haven’t paid my cousin in 1,5 years. Ooops

5. foobarbaz macrumors 6502a

They’re just halving the number of parallel streams for all packages, and adding a more expensive package that still has 4 streams.

The point is probably to cut down on account sharing.

6. cobracnvt macrumors 6502

cobracnvt

They must have seen the news about AT&T raising their prices...

7. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

So.... raising the prices?

Good luck with that, especially when they loose Disney/Fox content when they launch their own streaming service.

8. RomanEmpire, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018

RomanEmpire macrumors member

what the article doesn‘t mention is that „ultra“ will offer 4K HDR and 4 simultaneous streams.

here‘s the whole overview (thanks @cordcutting):

[​IMG]

9. rcooked macrumors regular

In others words, Netflix is testing a plan that reduces my subscription from 1 to 0.

10. cobracnvt, Jul 4, 2018

cobracnvt macrumors 6502

cobracnvt

Yes, it will be interesting to see how losing this content this affects their memberships. I don't know what percentage of people signed up for Netflix because they added Disney/Fox content, but I don't think losing this content will really negatively impact their subscriber numbers.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll not upgrade, I'll live with the lower tier, thank you very much.

12. sesnir macrumors 6502

If they go through with this I’ll never subscribe to more than basic. The price differences are not close enough to tempt me to pay more.

13. mlabonte21 macrumors member

mlabonte21

Hold it!

Premium has 4K but will no longer offer HDR? You can only get HDR from from the new Ultra plan?

That’s some shady nonsense there. No service I can think of has ever uncoupled 4K and HDR wherever available.

14. Telos101, Jul 4, 2018

Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

Looks like this is the future for all of us.

15. brandscill macrumors 6502

What I find most frustrating is the difference in video quality through the tiers.

16. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Yeah but with fancy new name to make it sound like something new.

17. cardfan macrumors 68000

18. R10k macrumors member

Good post, Ace Attorney...

19. pete2106 Suspended

pete2106

"We continuously test new ways to hike prices at Netflix and these tests typically vary in decreases of service," Smita Saran, a Netflix spokeswoman, said in an email. "In this case, we are testing halving services and features to better understand how consumers get ripped off by Netflix."

I fixed your quote MR.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

There's so much free content to watch on Tubi TV, Crackle and even VUDU, that besides the original content, it may make no sense to pay for Netflix.

21. javisan macrumors regular

This graph shows that the premium plan will keep the 4 simultaneous streams. The graph on the article showed 2.

Other websites with this article are also showing 4. I wonder where macrumors got this. Anyways, I hope it is 4 as in my household we use 3 and I don't want to pay more.

22. 400 macrumors 6502

Getting harder to justify keeping the Netflix 4k with this lot. Streaming quality is OK but nothing to write home about. The app for my TV is useless for HDR anyway.

Time to downgrade.

And finding it harder to justify keeping it. Maybe see what happens when I cease subs.

23. javisan macrumors regular

I found my answer on another website. It seems like they are testing various versions of the new plans:

For some people, the offer left all other plans the same, while for others, it reduced the Premium plan's streaming to a maximum of two devices at once and removed the option for HDR, while dropping the Standard HD-only plan to a single stream. The new Ultra tier consistently offered 4K with HDR and a maximum of four streams.

In other words, they are still figuring out how many benefits to remove from lower tiers to entice customers to pay more on the higher tiers.

24. KGBguy macrumors regular

KGBguy

Well, they may loose some subscribers over this. We will keep it, still cheaper than others. After all, Netflix is there to make money! Hopefully the service they provide in return is worth it.

25. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

Look no one likes price increases but let’s be serious here people. You all want original content, that comes at a cost. Price increases happen. If you don’t like it, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Netflix won’t notice you’re gone.