Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is testing a human curated discovery feature on iOS called "Collections" that surfaces TV shows and movies the user might be interested to watch (via TechCrunch).

ECp6oENX4AA2E6E.jpeg
Collections in Netflix for iOS

Netflix says the content is curated by experts on its creative teams and that the collections are organized according to similar factors, such as genre, tone, story line, and character traits.

For users who opted into the test, the Collections option appears at the top-right of the Netflix app's homepage. Some collections currently showing up have names like "Let's Keep It Light," "Dark & Devious TV Shows," "Prizewinning Movie Picks," "Watch, Gasp, Repeat," and "Women Who Rule the Screen."

If a particular collection interests you, you can tap a Follow button and get updates when new TV shows and movies are added.

Netflix Collections is your new way of finding what you want to watch, fast. pic.twitter.com/kKfciBWCg4 - Jeff Higgins Likes Umbrella Beach Drinks (@ItsJeffHiggins) 23 August 2019

The human-led curation feature, first spotted by Jeff Higgins on Twitter, is a change of direction for Netflix's recommendations system, which typically selects content algorithmically based on the user's viewing history. When asked about the feature, Netflix told TechCrunch:
"We're always looking for new ways to connect our fans with titles we think they'll love, so we're testing out a new way to curate Netflix titles into collections on the Netflix iOS app. Our tests generally vary in how long they run for and in which countries they run in, and they may or may not become permanent features on our service."
As the above comment suggests, there's no word yet on if or when it will roll out to all users, or whether we'll see it on other platforms, like Netflix for Apple TV.

Article Link: Netflix Tests Human Curated 'Collections' Feature on iOS

Reactions: macfacts

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
How about they add a decent search feature or index by category feature? It’s nearly impossible to find what is on Netflix. I’m constantly using a Google.

You’re probably aware of this already but just in case you missed it: on the search page there are categories under the keyboard (assuming you’re using a TV). It’s not perfect but it helps somewhat.

Reactions: CarlJ and PC_tech

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How will this be any different than their "algorithm"? After all it will still be curated by people in the same pool of white males in California that presumably already define their algorithms...

Reactions: Shirasaki

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It is amazing to me how hard it is to get Netflix to show me anything outside their top 100 of whatever catagory. Also pushing the same stuff on list after list after list.

Reactions: daveheinzel

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I’ve been a subscriber to Netflix for about 6 months, and I already felt that I’m running out of shows to watch. Netflix’ own encouragement of binging shows imo is their own undoing. I’m so bored with Netflix that I end up watching some old shows just because. Movies selections are not great either. Thinking of unsubscribing them by the 1 year mark.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
They should test human subscribers being able to write reviews and give star ratings. Oh wait.. they already had those features and took them away for no good reason.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I pay for Netflix and hbo and still just download everything into Plex.

App improvements Too little too late.

I look forward to paying for Disney plus and also downloading everything I watch into plex just so I don’t have to use 50 video apps.

I love Plex. It just works. It's like everything Apple's TV app wanted to be, and more. Subtitles: no problem. Streaming quality: set it on the fly. Watch from anywhere in the world: you got it.

Tivoli_

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
"Curated" this and "Curated" that, I have really come to hate this new buzz word.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Netflix needs to stop pretending that the curated lists are helpful in finding content in their current form.

I would prefer Netflix make the main screen a mix of curated and regular old categories. Add more search filters and sorting options. Stop showing the same movies and tv shows in every damn category to the point the use sees it 12 times.

Netflix needs to advertise movies and shows outside of Netflix. I’m sure I don’t watch a ton of stuff on there because either I don’t know it’s there or I’m skipping over it and not noticing.

I hate when I’m trying to read the description of content and a trailer starts playing or if you click into content, on some devices, the show just starts playing and you don’t have time to check it out before.

Sometimes i’d Like to watch the credits instead of skipping to the next thing. Other times I like the skip.

I’m getting off topic, but Netflix has a lot of work to do on their UI and user-curated lists are pretty f*ing low on what I would consider a priority list of changes. Smh

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
How about they add a decent search feature or index by category feature? It’s nearly impossible to find what is on Netflix. I’m constantly using Google.

I never understood why Netflix pays for content that makes it hard for the user to find and watch.

I pay for Netflix and hbo and still just download everything into Plex.

App improvements Too little too late.

I look forward to paying for Disney plus and also downloading everything I watch into plex just so I don’t have to use 50 video apps.

how do you download streaming service into plex?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.