Netflix Tests New Gamification Feature for Children's Shows

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix is testing a new gamified streaming experience for children, the company confirmed in a statement provided to Variety this morning. The new feature lets kids collect "patches" for watching episodes of certain shows.

Netflix says the patches, which have been available for a few weeks for some users, are designed to allow for a more interactive experience for children.

[​IMG]
    Image from Twitter
    Netflix shows that are part of the test are marked with red locks for Netflix users who have been selected to be part of the test. Eligible shows include "A Series of Unfortunate Events," "Trolls," "Troll Hunters," Fuller House," and more.

At the current time, it does not appear that collecting patches unlocks any additional content or rewards on Netflix.

Netflix says that this feature is still in testing and that it might not become part of the Netflix experience if the testing proves unsuccessful or unpopular with users.

Article Link: Netflix Tests New Gamification Feature for Children's Shows

2. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Just seems weird. I mean is it not enough to have shows to watch?

3. pdoobs macrumors newbie

I feel like Netflix is just daring me to cancel my subscription with these price increases and stupid programming decision.

4. kajoob macrumors member

kajoob

You need to be able to disable that ****. I don’t want Netflix trying to turn my kids into tv fiends just because they’re trying to collect a stupid badge. Between this, the stupid auto playing trailers that you can’t stop, and the raised prices, Netflix is really irrating me.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

What they said:
    “Netflix says the patches, which have been available for a few weeks for some users, are designed to allow for a more interactive experience for children.”

What they meant:
    “Netflix says the patches, which have been available for a few weeks for some users, are designed to allow kids to quickly become more addicted to TV programming than they already are.”

6. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Exactly this. Preach it my brother!

7. AngerDanger, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I've just made it my mission in life to create a television adaptation of whatever game this Netflix "patch" thing becomes.

metaflix.jpg

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

This seems like a horrible idea. I can't imaging kids need MORE incentive to watch TV.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

That is honestly pretty disturbing, and if I had a Netflix subscription I would probably cancel it now (I don't, because the auto-playing trailers and horrendous randomized interface are bad enough to give Hulu the edge).

If there's anything I don't want in my house, it's my kids essentially being goaded or bribed to watch more TV than they want to. Seriously, if they want to watch the show, they'll watch the show. Why do you need to "gamify" them to watch something that they apparently wouldn't have watched anyway. You're a subscription service! The whole point is I'm the customer not the product and get to watch what I want!

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So basically they’re handing out digital meth to kids to get them addicted to binging media at the youngest age possible.

What a world.

11. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

On their King Kong show there was already some game aspects with the user getting to make choices and participate in battles. The good news is that the next series of A series Of Unfortunate Events is coming. That’s great news.

12. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Rewards for participating in a sedentary childhood...

Disgusting.

The next logical step will be to hook up a device that will give you an orgasm after you complete a full episode. I called it first!

13. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Giving children a "reward" for spending more time sitting and staring at a screen is incredibly vulgar. Shame on Netflix for even entertaining this nonsense. We have enough unhealthy kids out there and their lives are far too sedentary as it is, not to mention they many aren't socially capable because they spend all their time watching shows.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

I hate to be that parent who uses the following line, but as a dad, what in the hell are they thinking? Why? What the hell is the point? I'd rather have my kids watch a little TV, play outside, and learn the alphabet, words, numbers, colors, etc.

15. csurfr macrumors 68020

Out of sheer curiosity, why all of the negativity towards Netflix? It’s ok when Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo do it, but not ok for them?

16. seanmcbay macrumors member

This is a terrible idea that would just lead kids with addictive personalities watching shows just to get these badges.

I remember I’d have friends on Xbox that would literally play worthless video games that they didn’t enjoy just for achievements. Blew my mind.

17. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Where are the parents? Surely if they're the ones paying for the service, the least they could do is supervise their kids' time spent watching Netflix?

18. Dainin macrumors regular

I do control very carfully how much time my kids watch Netflix, and what they watch. The last thing I want is my kids throwing a fit because I won’t let them watch a show they need to complete their set of badges.

That they are even considering this for children sickens me. Why are they trying to make screen time even MORE addictive.

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

20. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I'm always amazed at the pointless digital things people put time, effort, and money into. I still play video games rarely (CS:GO) and have to deal with those losers who aren't playing occasionally to relax but rather as a lifestyle.

21. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

As if kids need rewards for watching TV shows...