Netflix Tests Pop-Out Picture-in-Picture Player on Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix is testing a new pop-out picture-in-picture feature that's designed to let Netflix users watch videos in a small floating box that hovers above other applications, reports Engadget.

The pop-out player allows users to click a small icon at the bottom of the screen. Once the pop-out window appears, it can be resized and positioned anywhere on a computer's display.

[​IMG]
    Image via Engadget​

The pop-out player is designed to stay on top of whatever else you're doing on your computer, and it can be closed by clicking the X in the player, choosing Back to Browse, or closing the Netflix tab. Subtitles are not currently supported in the pop-out browser.

Netflix appears to be testing the feature with a limited number of users at the current time, and Netflix has yet to announce the feature. Netflix did confirm to Engadget that the pop-out player is "only a test" in an image, so it's not clear when and if the player will roll out to additional users.

Article Link: Netflix Tests Pop-Out Picture-in-Picture Player on Desktop

2. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

they could maybe make a macOS app so I don't accidentally close Netflix everytime I CMD+Q Chrome.

4. 19SK91 macrumors regular

I just use a bookmark to activate PiP pretty much everywhere - including Netflix.

5. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

If they’d just use macOS native video streaming they’d get this for free

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Already have an Safari Extension that does it for me. A little slow, Netflix....

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

Pretty sure I have an extension that does this. I don't use it much because I have dual monitors for my main computer. Also, it's more useful, PiP that is, for YouTube.

8. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Netflix on Desktop Safari can already do this. Just trigger it with PiPfier.

9. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Netflix needs to start supporting 4K streaming on the Mac. It’s long overdue.

Also you can already do this with the Google Picture in Picture extension for Chrome.

10. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Exactly. One click on the Touch Bar and I have PiP for Netflix.

11. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Exactly! The need to do proprietary things annoys me. They’re not even a software company.

12. Arran, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019

Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Multitasking is a myth.

This is just a way to do stuff badly: You're not working on your "other applications" effectively, nor are you really "getting into" your movie. It says to me that Netflix doesn't think its content is worth your time.

I don't get the point.

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

No, No, No, No..

I absolutely hate how website think what best for everyone with pop out players... Its a way to shift attention to say "spend all the attention on me"

Although it can be closed, just like bundled malware downloads develops think that's ok as long as give people options to not install the malware, totally overlooks the point why you brand something 'open source'

Similarly, the pop out may be a good feature for Netflix, i even cringe when i see it on smart tv's too.. so meh.!

This businesses of "as long as we give people options, we can do what we like" is bad behavior.

I get pop outs may be useful, but only if your actually watching it only, which may as well be embedded anyway since it the only things your starring at. I really don't understand how people can jump their eyes all over the place, and more importantly "stay focused"

14. bd700pilot macrumors newbie

Android already does this, at least on the Samsung phones. Wish ios could.

15. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

WTF: Their Apple TV is such a piece of crap and they waste time on this?

16. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I'm guessing Netflix'll start doing this if/when they bring their app to macOS via Apple's Project Catalyst.

17. TotalMacMove macrumors 6502

TotalMacMove

This is a good way to procrastinate on workflow. Unless you’re that good at multi tasking!

18. Trhodezy macrumors 6502

macOS Catalina now allows QuickTime to have PIP, too.