Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is testing a new pop-out picture-in-picture feature that's designed to let Netflix users watch videos in a small floating box that hovers above other applications, reports Engadget.

The pop-out player allows users to click a small icon at the bottom of the screen. Once the pop-out window appears, it can be resized and positioned anywhere on a computer's display.

netflixpopoutplayer-800x592.jpg
Image via Engadget​

The pop-out player is designed to stay on top of whatever else you're doing on your computer, and it can be closed by clicking the X in the player, choosing Back to Browse, or closing the Netflix tab. Subtitles are not currently supported in the pop-out browser.

Netflix appears to be testing the feature with a limited number of users at the current time, and Netflix has yet to announce the feature. Netflix did confirm to Engadget that the pop-out player is "only a test" in an image, so it's not clear when and if the player will roll out to additional users.

Article Link: Netflix Tests Pop-Out Picture-in-Picture Player on Desktop

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
I just use a bookmark to activate PiP pretty much everywhere - including Netflix.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Pretty sure I have an extension that does this. I don't use it much because I have dual monitors for my main computer. Also, it's more useful, PiP that is, for YouTube.

Reactions: szw-mapple fan

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Multitasking is a myth.

This is just a way to do stuff badly: You're not working on your "other applications" effectively, nor are you really "getting into" your movie. It says to me that Netflix doesn't think its content is worth your time.

I don't get the point.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No, No, No, No..

I absolutely hate how website think what best for everyone with pop out players... Its a way to shift attention to say "spend all the attention on me"

Although it can be closed, just like bundled malware downloads develops think that's ok as long as give people options to not install the malware, totally overlooks the point why you brand something 'open source'

Similarly, the pop out may be a good feature for Netflix, i even cringe when i see it on smart tv's too.. so meh.!

This businesses of "as long as we give people options, we can do what we like" is bad behavior.

I get pop outs may be useful, but only if your actually watching it only, which may as well be embedded anyway since it the only things your starring at. I really don't understand how people can jump their eyes all over the place, and more importantly "stay focused"

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018

Netflix is testing a new pop-out picture-in-picture feature that's designed to let Netflix users watch videos in a small floating box that hovers above other applications, reports Engadget.

The pop-out player allows users to click a small icon at the bottom of the screen. Once the pop-out window appears, it can be resized and positioned anywhere on a computer's display.

Image via Engadget
The pop-out player is designed to stay on top of whatever else you're doing on your computer, and it can be closed by clicking the X in the player, choosing Back to Browse, or closing the Netflix tab. Subtitles are not currently supported in the pop-out browser.

Netflix appears to be testing the feature with a limited number of users at the current time, and Netflix has yet to announce the feature. Netflix did confirm to Engadget that the pop-out player is "only a test" in an image, so it's not clear when and if the player will roll out to additional users.

Android already does this, at least on the Samsung phones. Wish ios could.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

Image via Engadget

WTF: Their Apple TV is such a piece of crap and they waste time on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.