Netflix Time Lag for New Titles

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rayward, Mar 18, 2013.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

I know that Netflix' disk service lags behind sales release dates for new movies. But where the hell are new releases for the streaming service?

The obvious example right now is Skyfall. It's been available for purchase for over a month, and hit the Netflix disk rental list a week ago. It's still not available for viewing on the streaming service.

At this point, I'm struggling to see any use in the Netflix app on my ATV. It promotes TV shows almost exclusively, makes it impossible to find new release movies, and is way, way, waaaay behind the curve on release dates.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Plenty of movies don't make it to Netflix streaming, ever. You can rent them via iTunes.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes you have missed EVERY review of Netflix Streaming that has ever been released....

Every single review will tell you that they have only have something like 17,000 movies and rarely are they the new releases. Most are older (and cheaper) content. Just like Amazon Prime, they sell you on the #'s, but often times what you want isn't available. I use Netflix streaming more for television than movies though. That's where Netflix shines. However, if I do want to watch a movie on Netflix streaming, I figure out what Genre I want to watch and go check out what they have. The key is not to lock yourself into a particular movie, but rather check out what Netflix recommends. I've found some real jewels I probably never would have watched.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

I use it for TV as well. They have tons of kids shows too, and no commercials. I also use the recommendations a lot. But, yeah, for new movies, your best bet is anything else.

5. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

the kids content alone is worth the cost to me. my son can be entertained for hours with the almost endless choices for him.

i realize not everyone has kids, but their movie and tv library are pretty good in my opinion also.

6. arbogast777 macrumors regular

Do you really think it's reasonable to expect unlimited new releases for $7.99 a month? That isn't what Netflix is all about...

7. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

I like Netflix

For $7.99 per month I think they provide reasonable value. Deadfall is one of the better recent release movies so that with what they offer in TV series - I haven't found a better service at their price. :)

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Netflix UK have The Hunger Games when it's still on pay per view on other platforms. That's very much the exception though. I just assume Netflix is good for TV, and look elsewhere for movies. Given the low monthly cost, I think it's a great service personally.

9. rayward thread starter macrumors 68000

My expectation was they they were offering the same selection of movies as the disk service, but it was cheaper because it avoided the cost of hard media and postage. If you factor out those costs, $8 vs $12 doesn't seem unreasonable.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes but for $12 you only get two movies at a time. Even if you watch them And send them back the next day, you can only go thru about 16 movies a month. You can stream 16 movies in one day!!

11. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I have noticed that as well, well my kids to be fair :D, I just exit netflix and restart from last position and all good.
    As someone said for 7.99 I won't complain, my kds mostly use it, once they grow up, I'll ditch it, there is less and less I watch for my self.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Both Redbox and Netflix would absolutely love to do this, and that is their ultimate goal, but the movie studios have so far been reluctant to license DVD release date streaming. I suspect the studios fear this would kill DVD sales (probably rightfully so).

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

That has never been their streaming model so your expectations are misguided. I'm sure Netflix would love to stream the latest titles, the content owners won't let them.

14. StinDaWg, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

StinDaWg macrumors 6502

It doesn't take a genius to figure out if first run movies were available streaming within a week or month of release for $8 a month, NO ONE would buy or rent movies from anywhere else. It would absolutely kill profits for movie studios and they will never do that. If you want to "stream" an unlimited amount of new movies without any restrictions on time or use your ONLY option is BitTorrent.

New release HD movies on itunes cost $5 to rent. If you wanted to watch a movie everyday it would cost you $150 a month vs. $8 for Netflix. Understand why these movies are not available on Netflix now? If you could get these movies from Netflix then itunes, Amazon, Vudu, Xbox, PS3 streaming services would all be out of business.

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Some may notice that Netflix does indeed have some new titles--but when you look, you will find most if not all are indie movies--not a bad thing as some of them are excellent movies--just not blockbusters like Skyfall.

16. arbogast777 macrumors regular

It reminds me of somebody at work who the other day who, about a month after he first started using Netflix, said "I bet someday you're gonna be able to watch any movie you want for free!"

:rolleyes: