Netflix to support Blu-ray exclusively

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jaw04005, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

"BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., Feb. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- With the industry now having picked a winner in the face-off between the two competing high- definition DVD formats, Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today said that it will move toward stocking high-def DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray format.

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that as of now it will purchase only Blu-ray discs and will phase out by roughly year's end the alternative high-def format, HD DVD, developed by Toshiba."

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=265

It's happened. I sort of feel sorry for those that purchased HD DVD players.

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

HD DVD is indeed dying a slow and painful death. With multiple companies dropping support for the format, Toshiba should have the sense to throw in the towel and spare their customers the pain. However, it doesn't appear they have any plans to do that. :rolleyes:

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

back when i had my hd dvd player, netflix is who i used. good thing i have blu ray now.

and- you never realize how much better the selection is on blu-ray until you get the chance to rent.

So, blockbuster heavily favors blu ray, so does hollywood video,, and now netflix? Can HD-DVD users go anywhere to rent now?

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wavered back and forth between HD-DVD and Bluray when I was buying my home theatre system back in November. It was a decently tight race at the time. At the last minute, I chose to go with Bluray over HD-DVD. I'm very glad I did, especially as a recent Netflix subscriber.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's that banging sound I hear? Oh yeah, that's the last nail in HD-DVD's coffin being hammered in :D

6. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Just a recap (for those that don't want to read the actual press release):

• Netflix will continue to rent current HD DVD titles as long as they remain in its library (lost, stolen or damaged discs will not be replaced)

• Netflix will not purchase any new HD DVD titles

• Netflix intends to phase out all HD DVD discs in its library by the end of the year

By committing to one format, Netflix can now begin to beef up its offerings. I know I have many Blu-ray discs that are in my queue that are marked as "short wait", "long wait" and "very long wait".

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's sad - but in this case only one disc format can prevail. Too costly for the studios to release on different formats...

I got a lot of use out of my HD DVD drive for my 360 (got 2 Thanksgivings ago on sale for $160). I only have about 10 HD DVD's - all really stunning pictures...

I guess they'll eventually end up next to my CED discs... :D

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh well at least I got some good HD-DVD in my collection but my Blu-ray collection is much bigger.

Only a matter of time now for another major studio to drop the bomb on HD-DVD.

Bless

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I doubt it will help with your wait list. I've had many regular DVDs stay in the wait list more than a few months. In any case, how would it help with the Blu-Ray only releases when Netflix was not able to stock any HD-DVD versions anyways.

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I've been a "waiter."

This, to my mind, is the end of the wait. We might as well all start forgetting that something called "HD-DVD" ever existed.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

how long before toshiba will sell blue-ray players?

12. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Netflix and other rental companies (Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, Hastings, etc) have been hesitant to invest heavily into one format over the other. As Netflix shifts from neutral to Blu-ray exclusively, we should see more copies of each title be made available for rental.

13. Aaon macrumors 6502

I am disappointed in this decision by Netflix. I am HD-DVD exclusive at this time, and while I suppose the writing is on the wall regarding the HD format war, it is a killer to me to know that my Netflix account will now be worth less to me than it has been. I don't see the harm for Netflix in continuing to support HD-DVD. There is always a backlog on HD-DVD rentals as well, so it's not like people aren't renting them...

14. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Well, I guess when the time comes for me to buy an HD TV, I will just pick up a PS3 along with it...might as well get a free PlayStation with my BluRay player!

15. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

How many more blows can HD-DVD stand before it crumbles down completely? I kinda feel sorry for those with HD-DVD players that are now pretty much screwed. I always backed up Blu-Ray and if it wasn't for my PS3 I will still be waiting to the the winner in this before buying; we can assume its gonna be Blu-Ray. HD-DVD could have had a big advantage over Blu-Ray if the XBOX had HD-DVD players built-in from the start, 1 year advantage over the PS3.

-Victor

16. JoshH macrumors member

JoshH

For anyone interested, I just got my email from Netflix:

Dear Josh,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe this will make all those long wait Blu-Ray titles start magically arriving in my mailbox :rolleyes:

17. Aaon macrumors 6502

I'm a little unclear on how removing HD-DVDs results in a better selection of high def titles.... Maybe I'm just bitter! :rolleyes:

18. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I agree.
    As long as someone is still requesting a title, they should still support it.
    Netflix plays in the margins where smaller players can't work.

19. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Major Burn :D

20. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I thought it already did?

I almost bought a Toshiba player for the $150 plus 7 free movies, but ended up buying a cheapie upconverting player instead (I don't think upconverting is all that, but my previous player kinda sucked.) That will tide me over until Blu-Ray players or PS3 is $199 or less...

21. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

The argument from rental companies and retailers alike is that they cannot fully invest in high definition media because of the format war. By eliminating one of the formats, Netflix and others can begin to increase their investment by purchasing discs in quantity, promoting their support of Blu-ray, purchasing advertising, etc.

It's too costly for such a company to put that investment in both formats—when they know one of their investments will be in vain.

There was absolutely no chance that both formats would survive, as "regular" consumers were not going to purchase two separate players or expensive dual-format players.

22. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda disappointed with the latest developments. I bought the LG Superblue that plays both formats but I always preferred HD DVD. If anyone bothers to check the prices at Fry's, Blu-Ray is now $22.99 for most titles while HD DVD is still $19.99 for most of their titles. I feel it was the competition that forced Blu-Ray to offer cheaper movies and players.

Paramount and Universal are still stubbornly refusing to go Blu-Ray and I'm rooting for them but I think buy the end of the year they'll throw in the towel. Guess I'll finally be able to afford Star Trek in HD DVD when it's in the discount bin, right now it's $179, I won't pay that.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

DVDs never had any competition and their prices were kept in check by market forces. If people aren't going to pay 25 bucks for a Blu-Ray disc, they'll be forced to drop prices or go the way of HD-DVD. And like any new technology, it's expensive at first but it will drop soon. When DVDs first came out, players were several hundred dollars. Now they can be had for $30. Same with the movies, the prices on them has dropped tremendously since the 90s.

Paramount and Universal need to go Blu-Ray soon. With HD-DVD all but dead, if they want to sell high-def movies, they're going to have to switch very soon. End of the year? Wouldn't surprise me to see them throw in the towel by the end of the month.