Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Netflix updated thier app. Looks like its just retina graphics. The menu and movie covers look awesome. But the quality of the streams could still use a bump for these 3rd gens. Hulu plus has better streams

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Netflix looks fine. And they aren't going to reincode all their media just for the retina display. Sorry.

JLee361

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Texas
If you log into Netflix from a computer it has options on what quality to stream the movies in. You should check it out and it might help you.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Netflix updated thier app. Looks like its just retina graphics. The menu and movie covers look awesome. But the quality of the streams could still use a bump for these 3rd gens. Hulu plus has better streams

The notes said HD video's on it's way.

brian1999

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
They could push out 1080p could they not?

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Oh okay. I just thought that was the ps3 upscaling the image to 1080p. Didn't know it was actually sending out that kind of signal.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Isnt it that if you pay through your iTunes account for Netflix for AppleTV it "unlocks" 1080p. Does that work on the iPad also?

How you give Netflix your $7.99/month has absolutely nothing to do with the streaming quality.

My Roku has had 1080p for a long time now. I pay with a credit card. It's simply a limitation of the app...for now.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
How you give Netflix your $7.99/month has absolutely nothing to do with the streaming quality.

My Roku has had 1080p for a long time now. I pay with a credit card. It's simply a limitation of the app...for now.
Thanks for clarifying. I have a 55" HDTV, an AppleTV3, Roku, PS3 and the new iPad but despite all the money we spent on 1080p capable hardware, it means nothing when your internet provider throttles your bandwidth so much that you're forced to change all the streaming settings to "SD Quality".

Ive spoken to Cox several times and they deny the throttling but if we watch even a 720p stream for 30min or even download a 1GB software update then our bandwidth dwindles to nothing.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Was watching Lost last night on Netflix and the picture quality would keep going down after i upgraded the Netflix app on my new iPad. Thought maybe it was the iPad so I rebooted it. Still had the issue. Full bars on WiFi and speed test showed I was getting 16 Mb/s download (this morning was 25 Mb/s) for my home network. Rebooted my Apple Airport Extreme router last night before going to bed. So I will give it a try here in a little bit to see if there is any issue.

Sometimes I really regret upgrading apps.

EDIT: Seems to be working fine now. Watched for about an hour this morning and no problems so far. Might have been an off night.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Quality still isn't up to par and the volume is way too low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.