Netflix US in UK

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gstevie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Ok so I know there are obvious reasons why you cannot easily access the US version of Netflix in the UK but, on the PS3 all you have to do is change the DNS settings and you have it no problems. So my question is, why does this not work on Apple TV 2G? In the DNS options you only have a primary DNS option and not an alternative, is this the issue? Is there a way round this? Thanks for the open minded answers.

2. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

does it work when changing the primary DNS server?
    if not, you would need to look at using a VPN service to make Netflix think you were in the US.

3. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

Nope, when you change the primary DNS and even change the iTunes store to US all that happens when u select Netflix it comes up saying that Netflix is unavailable. When you change the DNS settings back the UK portal comes up! I have a VPN but there is no way to get the Apple TV to connect a VPN. What I do not understand is how on the PS3 it is a simple step to change the DNS server and boom I am watching the US version right now without the use of a VPN.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

5. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

I see exactly where u are coming from but is there any explanation why u would have to subscribe to this on the Apple TV and not on the PS3? By putting their information into the PS3 it works no problems ATV on the other hand I get the Netflix not available!

6. DefBref macrumors 6502

I thinks its a bug that is it works on the PS3 and Xbox without subscribing, I'm sure when they figure it out that loophole will be blocked.

For 3 quid a month I don't mind paying.

7. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

Cool thanks for the answer. If it really is a bug then I will enjoy it whilst it lasts. Just wish my VPN supported Apple TV! lol Vypervpn that is.

8. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

Just realised that I can just use my iPhone 4S to AirPlay over the netflix app whilst using my VPN on that! lol

9. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

10. gstevie thread starter macrumors 6502

gstevie

A UK one is fine. Thats what I am using!

11. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Sweet! I think I might have to give it a go then :)

12. scottpat78 macrumors newbie

Question re router setup

I see on the website you have linked to that you can also setup your router, and this then works for all devices connected to it.

If I do this, does this work with Apple TV also, or do you have to config the Apple TV individually? Sounds too good to be true! Also if I config the router, does this then stop me accessing UK Netflix until I remove the additonal DNS settings?

Cheers, Scott.

13. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

yes, as stated it works will "all" devices that connect via the router.

yes it would stop you accessing UK netflix, as the router is using a VPN to make it look like you are in the US, and you can't access UK netflix from the US.

14. scottpat78 macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'm assuming that you can switch between the 2 locations though by simply removing the IP address and changing the iTunes location back to UK?
    I only ask as my kids watch Netflix UK content that isn't available in the US - just checked this by signing up for free trial and running it on the PC, can get into US Netflix no problem. As long as I can switch on the Apple TV, then I will pay for this, worth every penny!

Scott.

15. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You don't need to change the iTunes store location, simply the DNS settings. I've been doing this on an ATV2 for a few months and it works perfectly. There's a week's free trial too. Great service, really. Though I am a tad concerned that everyone jumping to the ATV3 and using Netflix 1080p streaming will choke of all their bandwidth, but time will tell… :D

16. captainmonkey macrumors newbie

Spotflux

Hi All,

First time poster so please forgive me if this is not "exactly" relevant to this thread but i thought it may be useful. I access netflix using my PC (oh boo they shout, and i know this is the mac forums!) The reason i bring this up is that i use a free VPN software that is also available for mac called SpotFlux. This does cut your bandwith a little but as netflix is pretty freeking awesome and modifies its quality according to bandwith this has never been a problem for me.

Before you all get on your high horses and say... well he's got 50mb fibre broadband, i don't! i have rural 2-5mb speeds depending on whether next door has flushed their toilet or not!!

Anyway the point of the post is, if your using your mac to steam netflix to your tv then check out spotflux as you will be able to access the US netflix in the UK for free. When you want to change back to UK.... just disable spotflux.

Cheers!