Netflix

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pearlbrian, Sep 28, 2010.

1. pearlbrian macrumors member

So I'm having a lot of trouble getting the netflix app to stream for more than 30 sec or so without stopping to rebuffer. I'm wondering if it might be because of my jailbreak. I'm talking about over wifi, on the same network I use to stream netflix to my 360. I never have any issues streaming it to the 306 in hd. Anyone else have similar issues?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got a pretty decent speed connection?
    Are you also downloading/uploading other files at the same time using the same home network with other computers/devices?

3. luvsoccer macrumors newbie

Works perfect for me (both 3G and Wifi) on jb IP4 4.01 and jb iPhone 2G running 3.1.3. I use DisplayOut and connect to my TV using the Apple composite cables.

4. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Works well for me too (both 3G and Wifi) on jb IP4 4.01.

Just curious...How is the quality of the picture on your TV? considering you're streaming iphone screen size content on a big(er) screen, It must be horrible, no??

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A TV has a vertical resolution of about 480 interlaced lines...for a total of about 240 lines per cycle. So, no, an iPhone-formatted image should look fine on a standard-definition TV. Of course, if you're talking about an HD TV, then you'll definitely notice some quality issues.

6. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 video (it's at 720p) looks pretty good on an HD set.

7. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

What speed Internet do you have from your Service provider??

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with Jailbreaking.

The Netflix app is actually not that good handeling Network Speed changes, on the desktop and 360 (PS3, Wii) app, they actually adjust the resolution if yor connection speed change, on the iPhone this doesn't happen (At least it doesn't seen to happen, i cannot confirm without access to the code) on real time but it seen to be on some type of timer, However the GPRS network is a lot more pront to speed change that a broadband line.

This is the reason that you see those buffering, you speed my drop before the script is due to recheck for it.

9. pearlbrian thread starter macrumors member

Probably the case, but why doesn't it buffer ahead when I let it sit paused?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

it's working well here (altho have so far watched nothing over 22 minutes)...
    love having this!

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I remember something like that as well, but i've been using the app a lot lately and the adjustments seen to be periodically instead of real time, but as I said this is a "impression" based on my own usage, signal, location, etc and nothing based on fact, code review or anything like that.

(I recently moved and haven't gotten any Tv service as yet, so i've been using the app a lot, I would say about 4 to 6 hours daily)

13. clockworkorange macrumors regular

I have the Netflix app on my iPhone 3Gs and haven't really ran into any buffering (or tons of it), I usually get around 2-4 signal bars on average. I do watch full movies (normally 30mins/day) while on break/lunch and experience 1-2 buffers.

iPhone 3Gs 32GB iOS 4.0.1 (jailbroken)

14. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok so.. to the OP...I am planning on purchasing these babies for my iphone 4 http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB128LL/B and as far as I know A Component cable can output up to 720p on a HD television.

Can you please confirm if you can easily output Netflix (through the Netflix) app on your TV? Are you using your standard AV (RCA) cables? and if you are getting decent quality on that?

I imagine getting something close to 480p on Component connection watching HD movies with Netflix on the iPhone. I'd love to have this feature.

Those Component cables would be a nice little investment to keep in my car (glove compartment) Next time I am at a friend's place (Or a fancy Hotel with HD TVs with Component Connection ...very unlikely though) and if my friend doesn't have Netflix, I can just go to my car, plug those cables to his/her TV and we got Instant Netflix! it will be a sweet deal.

Also is their experts that can let me know what's the best (most reliable) app (from Cydia, iTunes store) that allows a nice full fledged TV out functionality of your iPhone 4?

Thanks

15. QuickDraw macrumors regular

I have these issues on my jailbroken/unlocked 3gs and as well on my iphone 4, which came with 4.0.2 and is not jailbroken. It's intermittent, once i get into the problem i usually quit the app and restart it this sometimes helps. in general i have a relatively stable&fast wireless connection with not much interference as far as I can tell and i rarely have problems with my roku box or when streaming netflix to a laptop.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You should be aware that Netflix only streams movies in standard definition.

17. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Even the most recent High Def films on Netflix ON my PS3 visually cannot come close to a true 720p picture, they are more along the lines of DVD quality, 480p etc.

As far as the iPhone 4's little screen goes, most new movies look very crisp and clear on it. (A lot better than they look on my 46 inch HD Tv via the PS3, the same movie)

So by "Standard Definition" what are we talking here? if Netflix actually does stream movies at 480p on the iPad (I am sure they do ) and the iPhone 4 (I imagine it's exact same quality stream) Chances are 480p will be acceptable image quality and viewed comfortably on a 40 plus inches wide HD tv. BTW. this is the Newly available Netflix in Canada, so the stream (bandwidth/quality) may very well differ from the US.

Anything less than 480p, say... True Standard Definition, then yes, it will be totally worthless to buy these overpriced Component Cables, which is exactly what I am assuming is the case and thus not looking forward to spending money on them, unless I can find decent 3rd party ones for $25 or less.

Considering lots of other competitive smartphones have and even come with minHDMI cable to a regular HDMI out in their original packaging. Apple's is a bit slow and pretentious to not push a 30pin (standard apple) to a HDMI out cable but instead sell a cable at least a decade and half old in technology for 50 bucks on their site.

It's good that my iPhone 4's camera can shoot "720p" video, it will be much greater if I can (instantly) replay that high def home video to my family on my big screen TV. Are you listening Apple?

Anyway I'm going way off topic and ranting too much.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What is meand by standard definition is not certain. Standard definition TVs typically have a resolution of about 480i. The signal displayed on such a TV may vary, though; a standard definition analog broadcast signal has about 330 lines, a VHS recording has about 240, a commercial DVD up to about 540.

As I understand it, Netflix instant titles are streamed at "up to" 720p on the XBox, PS3, PCs and some Roku boxes. On the Wii, resolution is limited to 480p. I imagine that on the iPad the resolution is limited to 480p as well. On the iPhone I would not be surprised if it is further limited; 320 lines should be adequate for most purposes, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is limited to that even on the iPhone 4.

Of course in all these cases the resolution is listed as "up to" a certain value; it is always subject to network congestion, server load, etc. I have seen times when I thought I was getting significantly less than 480p on my Wii.

19. james92se macrumors 6502a

Why waste $55?

Only cost me $7 for the same thing

See my thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023001

I took my iPhone and "generic" cables to my brother's place tonight. He has a 55" true 1080p HD TV, and Netflix from my phone to his TV looked surprisingly good on his screen with my $7 cables. Not true HD, but to my eye they looked quality wise just a tad under the quality of his streaming movies through his Xbox.

I also downloaded BTstack Mouse and used my Targus bluetooth mouse from about 10 feet away on his couch to operate/navigate the phone. It was fantastic. Now all I need is a bluetooth keyboard :)

20. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It might be because the iPad only has 256MB RAM.