Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Netflix's 'Downloads For You' Feature Coming Soon to iOS Devices

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today announced the launch of a new "Downloads For You" feature that's designed to automatically download recommended TV shows or movies based on your Netflix watch history and personal tastes.

"Downloads For You" is meant to ensure that there's always something available to watch when there's no internet connection available, with users able to discover new content while offline.

Netflix users can choose how much device space downloaded content can take up, selecting from 1GB, 3GB, or 5GB under the "Downloads" tab once the Downloads For You feature is enabled.

Downloads For You is available on Android devices as of today, and it will soon be available in a testing capacity on iOS devices.

Article Link: Netflix's 'Downloads For You' Feature Coming Soon to iOS Devices

Suckfest 9001

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2015
Canada
The answer to no clicks on new content. Not interested? That's ok, we'll push it down to your device anyway
Or, y’know, this is a helpful feature that will give people better QoS particularly in households with insufficient internet for streaming????? Does everything have to have an ulterior motive?

Comment

ArPe

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2020
Netflix knows what you look at and watch using their app, if that is what you were speaking about.

Kinda doesn’t matter when it’s just a library of movies and documentaries. The guy who worked in your video rental store always knew what you rented.

This isn’t like Facebook or Twitter where algos turn you into a nut. It’s just entertainment content.

Reactions: decypher44
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Kinda doesn’t matter when it’s just a library of movies and documentaries. The guy who worked in your video rental store always knew what you rented.

This isn’t like Facebook or Twitter where algos turn you into a nut. It’s just entertainment content.
That is true. Not sure why she was concerned about privacy using Netflix. There is no inherent privacy with the app.

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
The answer to no clicks on new content. Not interested? That's ok, we'll push it down to your device anyway

And the following step will be Netflix introducing their new 'Play our content for you' feature, where it autoplays the content they've automatically downloaded to your device, because they think you should like it.

Comment

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
Gee since this generated a couple of nasty responses - wow sorry I ruined people's days. Hope this is optional - I have NO interest in someone deciding what I want to watch or taking space on my devices. Or Netflix might get deleted

Last edited:
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
The last time I checked, Netflix's download feature was limited to 1080p in SDR. Since my iPhone and iPad have large enough storage, I prefer downloads to be in highest quality (4K UHD), at the least 1080p in HDR. So if the restriction is still in place, this makes it a non starter for me.

Reactions: radiohead007
Comment

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
"Downloads For You" is meant to ensure that there's always something available to watch when there's no internet connection available, with users able to discover new content while offline.

Netflix users can choose how much device space downloaded content can take up, selecting from 1GB, 3GB, or 5GB under the "Downloads" tab once the Downloads For You feature is enabled.
They're only going to push content down to your device if you enable the feature.

Don't want them pushing content to your device? Don't enable the feature.

Seems pretty simple to understand.

Comment

BF1M

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2018
Does Netflix, or any app for that matter,allow 4K downloads? iTunes sure doesn’t...

Comment

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
Hope this is optional - I have NO interest in someone deciding what I want to watch or taking space on my devices. Or Netflix might get deleted

Did you even look at the article or at least the pictures? There's literally a "Turn On' button displayed for you to see if you couldn't bother reading. Why in the world would a random download option be forced on you?

Reactions: hsotnicam8002
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.