Netgear and Packet Loss

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Washac, May 7, 2013.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I have been having trouble with my broadband and packet loss, my ISP has checked the line and they say that when they look towards my modem/router they see packet loss but when a test is done towards the exchange equipment they see no packet loss.

Could it be my router at fault ?

It is a new Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ DGN2200

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you remove the router from the equation and connect wired direct to the DSL modem? Then run a speedtest like this that show packet loss. Try it with and without the router and compare results.

My hunch is that the DSL Internet connection is a far more likely source of packet loss though.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Nope, cannot remove the router from the equation.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am sorry, it did not register with me that you have an all in one modem/router. Is it provided by the ISP? Can they just replace it if they say it is bad?

Do you have another router? If so, look in the manual for the Netgear to enable "bridge mode" then connect the other router with ethernet. That effectively bypasses the Netgear for the new router and can help you pinpoint the problem.

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

It is my Modem/Router.

I have now had another message from my ISP, they are going to send out one their Modem/Routers to me so they can do some testing using that.

Thanks for the advice though, appreciated.

6. dermo macrumors newbie

Netgear Router

Hi,needed to change my wireless router recently and bought Netgear N300 wireless.Within the home, I am using iMac, son is using laptop on Ubuntu, I also have HTC on Android. My work laptop is on windows 7.The iMac is the only device having issues, really low internet speeds. When I speed test the connection, on the Mac, I might get one decent speed out of ten.

Any ideas?:confused:

DC

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

My first guess would be the type of WiFi security you have. Is it WPA2 Personal ? If not, then try that and see if speed improves.

8. dermo macrumors newbie

HI,
    It was on that and you set me thinking, and I changed it to a lower level, but , no joy. Also turned on and off the F/Wall.
    Have never had this issue before, until I changed the router.
    DC:confused:

9. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Other posts on this forum say that the N300 works better on the 2.4Ghz band and sucks at 5Ghz. So have a look at that maybe.

10. ryanfinke macrumors newbie

Change Channel

I had a similar problem with my 2009 Macbook Pro on Mavericks. I was using a NetGear N300 and getting 70% packet loss. The solution that worked for me was changing the router's channel to 01 (it was previously on 11). Apparently, a lot of people living around me also had their router on channel 11 and it was causing a lot of interference.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try downloading the application iStumbler. The latest beta version is great and will tell you any networks that can be seen and what channels they are on. Within the same room of your router, you want the signal to noise ratio to be over 40.

Look at the network I highlighted. That is my AirPort Extreme and it auto selects. I am across the hall in another room and it is giving me 44 S/N Ratio.

Attached Files: