Netgear Debuts New 2-in-1 Orbi Modem Router System Starting at $300

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2018.

1. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

probably decided it wasn't worth the boundary improvement until 'ax' comes out. Guessing they are currently working on a 3.1+ax orbi using draft standard chipsets they will release next year and are considering this their stepping stone proof of concept product. I will be one of the day one customers if they do in fact release a 3.1+ax router next year.

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

Google has single-user MIMO. Orbi has MU-MIMO (Mult-User).

Ethernet ports are still important! For instance, most home automation "hubs" use direct ethernet connection. I have Hue and Caseta connected to my Orbi base station for instance. How would you do that with Google Wifi? Then, I have my satellite strategically located by my home theater so I can connect my TV, receiver, Blu-ray player directly. Why take up shared client bandwidth when you can directly connect to a satellite and utilize only the 1.7Gbps backhaul channel.

Good job ignoring everything else I said.

Google Wifi is shameful today. It really needs an update.

3. mikewaltor macrumors newbie

mikewaltor

It is really the best system I really appreciate it.

4. FaustsHausUK macrumors regular

FaustsHausUK

As others have stated, lack of DOCSIS 3.1 is a dealbreaker. It looks like their new ax-compatible kit and my own modem is a better option.

Side note: it’s weird that Macrumors’ links to Netgear are a news page. You click on an item on the Netgear news page and it brings you back here. What is this, a web ring?