Netgear N600 compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jardins de Vin, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hello,

First, just to avoid confusion, this is about the Netgear N600 WLAN Adapter, not the router of the same name. At least it seems like there's a router of the same name.

Anyway, this is not really Mac thing but the Mac seems to pose problems here.
    I'd like to have internet on my TV, and for that, I need such a WLAN Adapter.
    I found one (the N600) that seems to work with my TV and isn't expensive:
    http://www.amazon.de/Netgear-Dual-B...8&qid=1405263793&sr=1-4&keywords=n600+netgear

My TV has, like many new TVs, a Facebook app and a Youtube app and so on…
    That is what I'd like to use.

But in the system requirements of this USB Adapter, it says Windows is required. How is that? I only have Macs. What can I do?
    Why would I need the computer anyway?

I hope someone can help :)

Cheers

2. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Nobody knows?! :) Basically just wondering if I can run it without being Apple compatible. I'm going to run it on the TV anyway, so why should it be Apple compatible anyway. :rolleyes:

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What TV are you using it with? Does this particular TV have the ability to have a USB wireless adapter added or does it require Ethernet?

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hey, yes it can use a wireless USB adapter (the one I posted is even recommended).
    It's a Panasonic Viera (TX-P42UT30E).

How can they require it to work only on PC? Not all Panasonic TV owners have PCs. And apart from another adapter from Panasonic itself which costs 100€ instead of 25 and doesn't support Macs either, there's no other choice it seems.

What's this needed for anyway? Installation or something? I heard it's (almost) only plug & play and that the installation is done on the TV.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think you need the WNDA3100v2 for this to work. Netgear has some articles detailing the process and a list of supported hardware.

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

That seems to be a software? It sucks because I just bought the N600 from Amazon haha. I should be able to bring it back in case it doesn't work. I would install Virtual PC or something like that but I'm writing from a weak eMac that can't handle it, once I have a newer Mac it should work.

I was in a store today and they recommended me something even more expensive, but apparently it worked the same way. They also told me it's not necessary to have Windows and that it has nothing to do with it. Confusing, but okay. We'll see haha, thanks for the help so far :)

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It isn't a software but rather an adapter. Review this Netgear article and it will describe it perfectly. Essentially just buy that adapter and plug it in. Then connect to your network and you are good!

8. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

When I googled it, that thing looked exactly like the N600 adapter I just ordered on Amazon, so I supposed it was the software I found next to a picture of it :)
    What I like in your link was following:
    "Connect WNDA3100v2 into a USB port of TV and wait a few seconds for the drivers to automatically install. Note: Software in the WNDA3100v2 CD is not needed in this case."

That sounds good :) let's hope it's what I ordered and that it works the same way, that was actually how I thought it should work in the first place :)

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is the adapter the TV calls for...

10. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yes that's what I ordered, same look, same price, same specs just different name over there apparently. But when you scroll further down they say it's called the N600, so I seem to be lucky ;)

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If it is the same model number it will be plug and play with your TV.

12. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yes it is! And that's good, I remember the time when there were so many things out there that weren't compatible with Apple. It almost surprises me these days when it's the case. I guess the PC software they're talking about is if you want to stream your PC to the TV or things like these, a bit like an Apple TV, because that's also what one of the images showed. But that isn't what I'm after thankfully :p

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back when it arrives.

14. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I will :)

15. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Been using it for a week or so now - works perfectly :)

Even though it said everywhere that it isn't compatible with Mac, I just had to plug it in, enter the name of my network and my password, and that was it. It also doesn't have problems finding the signal (although it did once or twice at the start), and we use an old router (from 2007) which is a floor downstairs at the complete other end of the house. So rather satisfying :) (Although I'm not really a fan of all those wireless things since it's bad for your health, but you can simply unplug the USB Netgear thing from your TV)

The Adapter was in a small plastic bag with a red sticker that said "STOP! Don't plug this in before you run the installation CD".
    I was such a bad boy that like I said I still did that, and it was really just plug & play :)

Well worth the 24€ although I'll probably rarely use it haha.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it worked out!