Netgear Nighthawk or Apple Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jlmcclellan, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jlmcclellan macrumors member

Hey all --

Looking to upgrade my router pretty soon (within the next month or so) and was debating between getting the Nighthawk or the new Airport Extreme. From reading reviews it looks like the Nighthawk has better performance overall, but I'm also interested in the ease of use of both the router and Time Machine over wifi. So does anyone have the Nighthawk and would you recommend it over the Airport Extreme?

2. bigcat macrumors 6502

I don't have the netgear, but if all your machines are Apple, I would stick with Apple. From my own experience, testing the airport drivers is not something Apple spends a lot of time doing, and I can't imagine them testing with other routers. So unless there are features in those routers that you need and are not present in the extreme, I'd choose the AE.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Additionally, AirPort routers possess one killer feature, you won't find on any non-Apple router - Back to my Mac.
    But whether you will be able to utilise this, will also depend on your ISP.

4. wwohl macrumors regular

I think the night hawk is a bit pricey and the net gear support for time machine wirelessly has been dodgy.

Ive read great reviews about the ASUS routers. There N version was stellar and the AC is supposed to be great too according to reviews.

If you're making the switch to AC, you're likely not gonna be disappointed. As all of the routers at that price range are only slightly different in performance, id make sure you're getting the software features you want. Having a mac makes wireless TM a big perk

5. ryndubs macrumors newbie

Asus makes a great router but many have limited support for the MAC or HFS+ format on the USB sharing feature. Just something to keep in mind.

http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1