Netgear Nighthawk X4S

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by pilotkid, Nov 15, 2016.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X4S and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to broadcast the 802.11AC network. All it will do is 802.11n. I've searched via Google and can't find a fix. Does anyone have this router and know how to fix it? It is replacing my Airport Extreme and Airport Express, those were way easier to set up and manage but the X4S is a beast and provides no dead spots in my house...

Thanks in advance!

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Do you have it setup with a single shared SSID, or did you create separate networks for 2.4 and 5Ghz?

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have two separate networks. Is that the correct way to do it?

4. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Post your Wifi configuration page here so we can see what your settings are. 802.11AC is on the 5GHz band only, so if you connect your AC compatible device to your 5GHz network it would auto-negotiate to AC.

I'm running the R7800 X4S personally and do not see the issue you're having. Also run the firmware update on the Advanced page as there's an update that offer better stability with Apple devices.

6. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it working. After about 45 minutes of Netgear not being able to fix it I told them I would just do a hard reset of the router and if that didn't fix it I would let them know...It ended up fixing the problem. It is now broadcasting 802.11ac. Now I have to reset-up all 16 devices that are attached to my home network...kinda annoying...but oh well, its working like it should so I am happy.
    Thanks for your help.

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Glad that its working, sorry it took me a bit to respond. Enjoy the router it's been super reliable for me since I purchased it about 2 months ago.