Netgear router problems with home network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chad H, May 14, 2014.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I finally got moved into my new house. Well, this one is two story so I wanted a router that had a little better range. Also, wanted one that would let me set a 2.4GHZ network for my laptops and apple tv's while having a 5GHZ network for the gaming/tv devices in the theatre room where the cable modem is located. The Netgear Nighthawk does everything I need. I'm running into one problem though. I keep getting an error "Another device on the network is using your computers IP Address. If you continue to have problems, change the IP Address of this computer or the IP address of the other device." The scenario where this happens is when I'm downstairs on my MacBook Air and watching Apple TV. These two devices are running on the 2.4 network. I renewed my DCHP lease on my main computer(Mac Pro) and my other two laptops. It gave me the error again this morning when I opened my MacBook Air. Also, while I'm doing both things as stated before the internet will just drop out for about 5 seconds and pop right back up. That's usually when I get the error on one of my computers. Anybody got any advice on how to fix this? I'd switch back to my AEBS but it's range just isn't what the Nighthawks is. Thanks! :)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try changing your 2.4 channel. You might have another neighbors router on that same channel as you.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

It's set on auto I believe, should I just pick a random channel?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did you try power cycling all devices ?

I mean shut down all, then turn on the Netgear, then turn on each other devices.

The warning message should disappear.

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

No, I haven't. I have cycled the Mac Pro though earlier. Every device would be about 11 devices spread across both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You should be able to find a utility to scan for wifi signals in your vicinity...then choose an appropriate channel.

Regarding IP distribution you could try giving your devices static IPs, either via the router or at each device. That should prevent the message from popping up.

War Eagle.

7. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

War Eagle Brian! Yeah, I'll look and download a utitlity and see. Would that message cause the internet to drop like that though when both devices are using it? Say Apple TV streaming a rented movie and surfing on my laptop at the same time?

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's a message that shouldn't appear, really. Your router hands out IP addresses via DHCP...supposed to be different for every device.

You might take a look at "Reserve LAN IP Addresses" in your manual and specify IPs for every device that connects. That's what we do here.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure that the DHCP range has more than enough addresses to accommodate the eleven devices you have.

10. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I've attached a screenshot. Does this look correct? Got the message again this morning.

Attached Files:

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is more than enough addresses. You are getting IP conflicts because either a) devices are set to connect with static IPs but aren't reserved on the router or b) DHCP is giving the same IP to two devices. I am leaning towards the first one.

Try resetting the whole router and setting it up again.