NetGear Router Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TonyWatt, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TonyWatt macrumors newbie

Don't know if this is right forum for this, so I apologise in advance if it's not.

My router has been dropping out since last Thursday for no apparent reason. Yesterday I received an error message saying 'another device is using the IP address'. I changed my IP via the terminal, to no avail. It's still dropping out.

I then used my phone to ask a friend for help and noticed the router came on and was extremely stable. When I hung up, it dropped out again. I took the phone off the hook, and bingo, back on again. I tried this 4 times, and every time I lifted the phone, the router would come back to life. I also noticed a whooshing sound coming from the phone. Could it be my phone line that's causing me so much grief?

Any help would be appreciated. It's driving me nuts!! Thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is your router connected to the internet?

3. TonyWatt, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

TonyWatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have said...It's hardwired to my Mac.

I have put on new filters and ADSL line

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It sounds like you have an ADSL modem/router combination unit? If that's the case it could be your phone line, but it's difficult to tell.

5. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Personally, I'd never go with Netgear. Always given me issues. Same with D-Link.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Have you looked at your ADSL settings? run a diagnostic? Sounds like there's a problem with ADSL line itself since it's shared with the POTS.

Rob

7. TonyWatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Re-checked filters, connections etc. Re-started router and it came up. Wife went on phone, router disconnected. Went into router settings (via 192.168.0.1) and change the channel to 11, and hey presto, no more conflict with the phone.

Later, the wife was upstairs on her laptop (wirelessly) and I was on my Mac, router disconnects - seems like router will only accept one device at a time???

Should I
    a. reset the router back to default settings
    b. Do something else in the router settings???
    c. Smash said router with a claw hammer

Any advice appreciated

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You've done all the sensible things....Contact you phone and ISP provider...Sounds like an ADSL leak....It could be a faulty router, Netgear are not my personal choice, but it's more likely to be something they need to fix.

9. TonyWatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Update - turns out there was a fault on the phone line 174 feet away from the house. Now sorted and router back up and running solidly. :D