Netgear router...wtf?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cjddrum1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. cjddrum1 macrumors regular

Ok so my internet company hooked the netgear CG814WG router up to my computer and xbox... xbox is wired everything else is wireless...it seems like every half hour or so the router will loose connection and tonight while playing halo 3 I saw what happens...the router seems to shut off almost and then restart...any idea on wahts causing this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

netgear seems to suck for Macs more and more lately. :(

Hopefully they didn't sell that to you.

Add to the netgear pain by pairing a cable modem and their wireless router into a single box. [ouch]

3. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like the router needs a firmware update to improve its reliability. If it's managed by the ISP their engineer will need to visit. Otherwise if you can fully administer it you can get the latest firmware from www.netgear.com and do the update yourself by following the instructions. The update needs to be performed via a wired connection.

4. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

So he would have to Connect his CPU directly to the router in order to do the update then?!
    I have an ol' Netgear router but it's used for my G/Fs pc, my G4 is connected directly to the modem, I've had no problems what so ever, but looks like Im behind a FW but I think I would have to contact Bellsouth/ATT so they can get rid of it, but then again my G/Fs PC will be at high risk.....dam, sucks to be a PC :D

:apple:

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The router/modem are one unit from Netgear.

Getting a standard ethernet modem from them and buying a wireless router from linksys may be the alternative method if Netgear doesn't have an update (don't expect them to, they aren't updating fast anymore when Macs don't work with their equipment.)

---

Setting up fixed IP addresses sometimes gets around the Netgear, DHCP problem. If that is the problem it is running into.

6. Queso macrumors G4

The OP is also suffering the disconnect when playing on the XBox, in which case there will be a lot more pressure on them to fix this.

7. AvAlex macrumors newbie

i have the same router provided by my cable company charter, my xbox360 will drop connection to xbox live for no reason, my macbook pro will drop connection to the internet every ten mins but i have found if turn airport off then on it seems to fix the problem