Netgear + Time Capsule + O2 Broadband

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drtimjones, Jan 20, 2009.

1. drtimjones macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm having real problems with my TC and despite looking I can't seem to find a concrete answer to my problem so thanks in advance for any help :)

For the first backup (which took about 10 hours) I connected my MB and TC via Ethernet - this worked fine although it was slow. I disconnected the TC and shut-down my Mac but my Mac just hung.

I then re-setup the TC as an addition to my existing wireless setup. The setup I have is a O2 broadband using a Netgear wireless router. The TC was successfully added as part of an extended network and I manually choose a back-up to check all was working. The TC at this point never went beyond simply displaying 'preparing' - I think this is because my MB crashed after the initial Ethernet back-up and I should try erasing the TC and starting again.

What I would like help with is the following:

1) I'm assuming my new MB (bought last week) will connect to the TC via 'n' rather than 'g', however because I have simply extended my network my TC is connecting via the slower Netgear router hence the poor speed and possibly why my MB never gets beyond 'preparing'?

2) Can I turn off the wireless on my Netgear and use it only as a router plugged into the TC via Ethernet therefore giving me a faster connection or should I buy a new router that supports 'n' and just ditch the Netgear?

3) If you recommend the former, I'm assuming I need to setup the TC as a new wireless connection via the Airport Utility.

Any help would be gratefully received as my TC is currently very slow and I only have 30GB's to back-up!!

Cheers :D

2. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hey there, hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions and help you out.

OK - so I have a Time Capsule, a MacBook, and a BT Home Hub. I have my Time Capsule set up so it runs on N (the 5GHz frequency) only, meaning that it has a better wireless range, and back-ups should be a bit faster.

But like any person, I have a few legacy G devices, such as my Wii and iPod touch. Using AirPort Utility, you can set-up two independent networks in your house. This will allow you to have a very nice N network via the TC, giving you pretty speedy back-ups, and also having another b/g network for legacy devices.

I'll show you how to set that up.

First off, run an Ethernet cable from your NETGEAR router to the WAN port on the Time Capsule (The one next to the USB), then...

1. Open AirPort Utility -> found in Applications then Utilities, or do a spotlight search by pressing Cmd+Space.

2. Select your Time Capsule from the list and press Continue

3. Enter a name for your Time Capsule (This is not your SSID) and a password (This is not your encryption password, just the password to access the Time Capsule and the Time Capsule Hard Drive) Click Continue, there's no need to select "Use diff. password to secure disks".

4. In the next screen, choose "I don't have a wireless network and I want to create one", then click Continue.

5. Enter in an SSID (Network Name) and enter an encryption password. Press Continue

6. Select Bridge Mode and press continue. On the screen that follows, make sure that Connect IPv4 is Using DHCP

Click Continue, then Update

Once you have done that, don't close the AirPort Utility, and this time select your Time Capsule, then go to Manual Setup...

1. Make sure the AirPort heading is selected, and select Wireless. Under Radio Mode choose 802.11n Only (5GHz) and then Update

Done

3. drtimjones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much - my TC is now up and running really sweet :)

I decided to erase the previous backup and start-over, everything seems to be working fine plus I now have a faster network for my MB!