Netgear v. Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tavelon, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Tavelon macrumors newbie

I have a Wireless-N router from Netgear that was purchased without much consultation. Before I set it up I want to make sure if it is the appropriate choice or if I should return it.

I'm looking for a router that will work for both my macbook pro and a windows based laptop (And if it worked for my ipod touch, that'd be nice, too).

So... which is better? Airport express or Netgear Wireless-N? (WNR 2000)

I'm not too concerned about the quick setup from airport, but it would be nice if it were semi easy to set up.

Thanks!

2. idleboy macrumors newbie

i have used both but apple express has more coverage range than netgear
    secondly its draft N band
    so thumps up for Airport:apple:

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Both should work for all your devices.

I am generally not in love with Netgear products, though they're not all *that* horrible.

I do like my experiences with several AirPorts (and a Time Capsule).

Look at the price and what you're willing to deal with, hassle-wise (for example, Linksys routers *suck* out of the box, but magically becomes some of the best routers out there with a different firmware).

With all that said, personally I'd get the Express :)

4. Tavelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions so far... I'm still gathering information on this, though.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

AirPort Express can only be configured using a Mac or a Windows PC with special software installed. Your Netgear router can be configured by any computer with a web browser.

6. czeluff macrumors 6502

we have both

We have both Netgears and Airports in my office. The Apples have been much easier to deal with, and never need tweaking. I'm SO tired of "unplugging/replugging" Linksys and Netgear stuff I could scream.

Sure, the Apple one uses a piece of software to configure, but A- it's already on every Mac, and B- its a SWEET piece of software.

cz

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

There is something inherently wrong about me being able to configure my Netgear router form my iPhone, but being unable to do the same with my Apple Express or Extreme Dual Band.

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I use to have a Netgear router. It was ok until it broke down. I then bought a Airport Extreme and wow! Very easy setup, got my printer connected to print wirelessly, and I love the Bonjour software for Windows. I definitely recommend the Airport Extreme.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If you have multiple Macs in your house and like to share stuff between them don't forget the Airport Extreme Base Station supports the wake-on-demand feature in Snow Leopard so computers can be sleeping but wake automatically when you try to access them.

10. Tavelon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for all the help!

I ended up getting a netgear router for my birthday (Between that and 'Black's law dictionary' I don't know which present makes me more of a geek).

However, the software and such was configured for a 32 bit computer, and it didn't work. So I returned it and I now have a few more questions before I get another:

1. I'm pretty sure all the devices I will be using are 64 bit, but do they still work with both?

2. If I go with airport, should I go with express or extreme? Budget is somewhat of a factor.

3. Also, I live in a 2 story house, I do much of my studying upstairs, my internet connection is downstairs. How will this affect the these choices (is express strong enough to make that connection?

4. As an added bonus, I'd like being able to have a quick enough connection to video chat and do that kind of thing in better quality. Do any of these products make that feasible?

Thanks again!

11. camgrant84 macrumors member

I have the new extreme and have been very happy with it. I bitched and moaned to begin with about needing to install software, but after using it, I would rather do it this way - it's easier, prettier and more reliable than a webbased interface.

1. I am using 64 bit windows 7 and 64 bit macs. It works fine on both
    2. I couldn't vouch for express. But the speed and range of extreme is great. The new one is full n (not draft) with rumoured firmware updates to enable 3x3 after n certification (if the patents are anything to go by)
    3. My extreme replaced an expensive d-link router. The range of the extreme is much better. Walking to the ferry in the morning my iphone is still picking up signal 200m away and its surrounded by brick walls
    4. the extreme is as fast as is available at the moment. Transfer speeds on it are much better than my draft n dlink was. This applies both to the gigabit ports and n wireless. Never really looked at the express, but i'm pretty sure it is only wireless g? maybe draft n?

hope it helps