Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dillyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Devon, England
I would be glad if someone could give me some guidance please:
I have a Power PC G5 1.8 with an installed Wireless Extreme card (this machine is early 2005 so was told this was the correct card!) running Tiger and was advised that the Netgear DG834G wireless router was the right kit for the connection. Unfortunately the CD is geared towards a PC set up Wizard and it leaves Macs to use the manual which is horrendous to follow as it asks for IP and ISP address numbers and all sorts of other info.
I have a friend who has this same router just installed like a breeze on the fabulous new iMac but perhaps the Intel innards has helped him!
All the signal lights light up on the router and on doing a network check on the Mac is just shows as red the actual connection to the internet! There is a cable with the router for plugging into the ethernet socket which I have tried but it seems to make no difference.
I have ADSL connection with Virgin (who offer no MAC help whatsoever now).
What do I need to do!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
You should try to use the web interface for your router.

Make sure the router is on, and then connect to it (preferably using an ethernet cable if the router has ports) or by choosing the default name (wireless, default, netgear or something like that). Then open your browser and go to the website http://192.168.1.1

This should open a handy wizard that helps you setup the router. I don't have much experience with Neatgear routers, but I'll do my best to answer any questions if you have them.

If it asks for a username or password they are admin and password respectively. If that password doesn't work, try 1234.

Dillyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Devon, England
Thanks for your response to my query. I do log in to that format via my browser but that is where I hit the buffers as it says it cannot locate the various IP and DNS addresses automatically and lays out the format to do it manually. Unfortunately Virgin although offering support for wireless setups to PCs (at a cost of course!) say they do not support Macs :mad:- so I think a letter of complaint will be forthcoming for that!
I will try and get them to give me their DNS and other info that the router obviously needs to connect.
I have to keep re-connecting my old system to go online and get help so its driving me mad! I just hope it is not a conflict between the Netgear and the Apple Wireless Extreme card! Thanks for trying anyway.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
That's quite strange. In my experience routers have always been able to auto-detect these details. Perhaps you should call your ISP and ask them for these details without actually telling them you're using a Mac. Just tell them it's IE on Windows if you want. Setting up this router over its web interface is a platform independent task and Virgin is naive to tell you any different.

Is the router plugged into a modem of some kind. Can you clarify which hardware your using and how its all setup for me?

Dillyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Devon, England
Hi
Well I did just that and in no time at all the operator/techie was able to correct something and the screen details were filled in somehow, so I have saved snapshots of the details for future reference in case it goes awry! (And I didnt have to sign on for the online help package either!!:)
Thanks for the tip.

Dillyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Devon, England
Thanks I did that with the code and it brought the right page up in the browser but it wouldnt automatically find the Virgin site for some reason and they eventually did something and it came up, so I am up and running - airborne now, thanks for trying to help. I was anxious in case the modem/router and the apple card were not compatible. Always difficult when you ask if they are and you lay out the dosh and are committed then as I had to buy both as my G5 did not have a card in when I bought it.
Anyway I am a happy bunny now!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.