Netgear WNDR3700 + Wireless Time Machine Successful!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Orlandoech, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I come from long PC/Windows background and do Network Administration for a living, mainly Sharepoint and Altiris Administration but also some DFS, AD, and Cisco Unity administration. I also do freelance automotive photography for editorial magazines on the side.

I recently converted over to MAC because I was so exhausted always trying to get things to properly "work" together. I had a beefy PC and ceased all my gaming habits mainly due to time. After always getting people asking me to build their PCs, fix them, network them, etc I was just sick of being in a Windows Environment so I decided to part out my desktop and buy a new 2011 MBP 15".

After shelling out almost $2400 on the MBP and then an additional $500 on a SSD, 1600MHz Memory, 2.0 Speakers, I didnt want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars on a airport extreme or time capsule. I already had a very good wireless dual band router, the Netgear WNDR3700.

I knew it would be possible to get an external HDD, the Netgear WNDR3700, TimeMachine, My MBP and the girls PC Laptop to all play nice together.

After a lil Google, I was able to successfully get the External HDD (NTFS) hooked up to the Netgear router via USB (ReadyShare/NAS) to mount to my MBP and wireless backup to it via TimeMachine or ChronoSync.

Im using this to make backups and to share files from my MBP to PC Laptop. I can also access it directly as its an attached/mounted device to my MBP and I can read/write to it just fine from the MBP or PC.

I followed this article; http://hupio.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/osx-timemachine-and-sambawindows-share/

Sorry for the extra useless info and ramblings ;)

Here is a few screen shots;

Attached Files:

2. some-dude macrumors member

Can you put your computer to sleep and wake it back up without issues?

I did the same thing using a D-Link router w/ USB port and an external hard drive. I could mount it no problem, even used it for time machine... but whenever my computer goes to sleep it doesn't unmount it and I get errors upon waking that require me to to a reboot to correct.

3. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just tested and the "NAS" shared device didnt unmount, but I could re-connect to it with no issues and I didnt get any pop-up errors of any sort. I also tested writing, reading and deleting a file from it with no issues upon wake.

4. some-dude macrumors member

Cool. Guess your router works better than mine for this. I just wanted to pass my experience along so you weren't surprised down the road.

5. Marshalus macrumors newbie

Have you upgraded to Lion yet? I have a 3700 and would like to use this functionality but am not sure if it'll work with the updated NAS protocols Time Machine requires.