Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, all of Netgear's existing Arlo Baby smart monitoring cameras are compatible with Apple HomeKit following the release of a HomeKit update for the Arlo app.

To connect the Arlo Baby camera to a HomeKit setup, Arlo Baby owners will need to download the update and then toggle on the HomeKit option in the Settings section of the Arlo app.

homekit-netgear-arlo-baby-800x359.jpg

With HomeKit compatibility, Arlo Baby cameras can be viewed in the Home app on iOS devices right alongside other HomeKit-compatible cameras.

Using the Home app, parents can also view a live stream, access two-way audio controls, view the most recent screenshot recorded by the Arlo Baby, open up the camera live stream via Siri, and access live video remotely with an iPad, Apple TV, or HomePod as a home hub.

Netgear first announced HomeKit compatibility for Arlo Baby at CES in 2018, launching a new line of HomeKit-compatible Arlo Baby cameras. At the time, Netgear also promised to bring HomeKit to existing cameras, a promise that was fulfilled with today's update.

The Arlo Baby cameras will also continue to work with the Arlo app, which can be used for specific features like accessing footage stored in the cloud, tweaking settings, controlling the light, and more.

If you're unfamiliar with the Arlo Baby line, it's a camera that's designed to be used in an infant's room. It offers 1080p video recording and seven days of free cloud storage, along with infrared recording at night, ambient air quality sensors, a music player, and a built-in dimmable night light that can be set to one of several colors.

Netgear sells several Arlo Baby accessories to personalize the camera to fit into a child's room, such as bunny, kitten, and puppy suits. Arlo Baby can be purchased from Amazon.com for $200.

Article Link: Netgear's 'Arlo Baby' Smart Cameras Now Offer HomeKit Support

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
It’s been close to a year, but I wanted to install a camera to monitor pets in my house and went specifically looking for HomeKit compatible cameras. Didn’t find many at all, and some that claimed compatibility required a bridge component to work with HomeKit. The cameras with the best reviews online were not HomeKit capable or were a lot more expensive, usually because they did require another component.

Reactions: Jesse Waugh

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Reactions: KazKam

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
It’s been close to a year, but I wanted to install a camera to monitor pets in my house and went specifically looking for HomeKit compatible cameras. Didn’t find many at all, and some that claimed compatibility required a bridge component to work with HomeKit. The cameras with the best reviews online were not HomeKit capable or were a lot more expensive, usually because they did require another component.

How about the Netatmo Welcome? Has pet-specific detection, and Netatmo's Presence outdoor camera went live on HomeKit last month so they're at least capable of delivering on their "support coming soon" promises. (I bought a Presence to watch for a neighborhood cat, and rather like it.)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As some one who loves tech and has fathered a couple babies in the last few years, let me tell you that there is no reason for this. When we were shopping for baby things my wife told me we don’t need a camera. She had a lot more experience with babies than I did having grown up in a big family so I went along with it. And she was right. There is no point that I can think of in hindsight. And if you want this so you can leave the house then I don’t even know what to say to you.

You see, if your kid is crying and they’re a newborn, you usually just have them in a small bassinet next to your bed which is the safest way to prevent SIDS. When they move to their crib you go get them immediately for the first few months, then you might start waiting 5-10 minutes to let them cry a little until they fall back to sleep. If they keep going for a while you go get them. At no point do you need to look at your kids. You also get a feel for their different cries and know if it’s serious and you need to go get them because they’re about to melt down. Just buy a halfway decent V-Tech or whatever audio one for $35-$50 and call it a day. You can get replacement rechargeable batteries on Amazon for pretty cheap for your next kid if you need to.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
How about the Netatmo Welcome? Has pet-specific detection, and Netatmo's Presence outdoor camera went live on HomeKit last month so they're at least capable of delivering on their "support coming soon" promises. (I bought a Presence to watch for a neighborhood cat, and rather like it.)

I'll look. I didn't buy any camera last time and the reason I was looking was I had a sick elderly dog, who has since died. I now have a new 1 year old rescue dog that I think is 1/2 Great White Shark and 1/2 Velociraptor.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Is it just me or does anyone else find those things scary? I don't think I'd be able to sleep with one of those faceless horrors looking at me.

Reactions: laszlo182

willzyx

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
As some one who loves tech and has fathered a couple babies in the last few years, let me tell you that there is no reason for this. When we were shopping for baby things my wife told me we don’t need a camera. She had a lot more experience with babies than I did having grown up in a big family so I went along with it. And she was right. There is no point that I can think of in hindsight. And if you want this so you can leave the house then I don’t even know what to say to you.

You see, if your kid is crying and they’re a newborn, you usually just have them in a small bassinet next to your bed which is the safest way to prevent SIDS. When they move to their crib you go get them immediately for the first few months, then you might start waiting 5-10 minutes to let them cry a little until they fall back to sleep. If they keep going for a while you go get them. At no point do you need to look at your kids. You also get a feel for their different cries and know if it’s serious and you need to go get them because they’re about to melt down. Just buy a halfway decent V-Tech or whatever audio one for $35-$50 and call it a day. You can get replacement rechargeable batteries on Amazon for pretty cheap for your next kid if you need to.

I agree with most ofoyour points except the last one. Sometimes you do need to watch them to make sure they didn't climb out of the crib. But these cameras need a dedicated monitor.

Mack813

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013

Im in the same boat looking for a good homekit camera without a hub is very hard to find.

Reactions: EdT

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I agree with most ofoyour points except the last one. Sometimes you do need to watch them to make sure they didn't climb out of the crib. But these cameras need a dedicated monitor.
I'll concede that's one point that I didn't think of. None of mine have been climbers. Although my youngest is much more of a climber outside of the crib. But our crib also has a decent amount of depth. Once they get old enough to start standing in the crib we always adjust it to the lowest position. Probably a mix of luck and the crib we have.

emiliosic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Wakefield MA
Where is support for their other existing cameras? :mad:
Have Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 and they do not (yet?) support HomeKit.
Updated the app, found the HomeKit setting, granted access, but no Arlo Pro 2 yet.
Keep in mind that while the Arlo Baby is intended to be plugged in, the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 work with batteries, and plugging in is optional.
That said, the Arlo cameras work with IFTTT and Amazon Alexa: For example, you can ask a FireTV or an Echo with Screen 'show me front door camera' (as an example) and it works with any Arlo cameras. The Alexa skill is a cloud service (meaning it doesn't require an app on a phone), so maybe support is coming.
On the other hand, the Arlo service is pretty closed: The cameras only talk to a base station, and the base station is forwards the stream to the cloud. I like this for security. The base station has locally open ports and can only be accessed through their (free) cloud service.
They likely started bith Baby because it's always plugged in, but don't waste your time asking NetGears for updates

Reactions: EdT

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Have Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 and they do not (yet?) support HomeKit.
Updated the app, found the HomeKit setting, granted access, but no Arlo Pro 2 yet.
Keep in mind that while the Arlo Baby is intended to be plugged in, the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 work with batteries, and plugging in is optional.
That said, the Arlo cameras work with IFTTT and Amazon Alexa: For example, you can ask a FireTV or an Echo with Screen 'show me front door camera' (as an example) and it works with any Arlo cameras. The Alexa skill is a cloud service (meaning it doesn't require an app on a phone), so maybe support is coming.
On the other hand, the Arlo service is pretty closed: The cameras only talk to a base station, and the base station is forwards the stream to the cloud. I like this for security. The base station has locally open ports and can only be accessed through their (free) cloud service.
They likely started bith Baby because it's always plugged in, but don't waste your time asking NetGears for updates

Agreed, but I have two Arlo Pros and an Arlo Q and it also doesn’t have HomeKit support despite being plugged. In addition, Arlo Pro 2 support being plugged in non-stop, tus they should also get HomeKit even if it is restricted to non-battery use.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012

They're releasing a video touchscreen monitor this spring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.