Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Hey I just wanted to tell everyone that I have just downloaded Netscape 7 a few days ago and this is a BIG improvement over their 6.x version. I have been an IE diehard because it worked like it is suppose to and is fully featured, but I have been very impressed with the Netscape 7. It is faster then IE for rendering pages and I like the improvements in the design. If you have written Netscape off try this one out, I think a lot of you will like it.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Yes. It is an improvement. Just don't try to use any of your plugins like Flash or Windows Media Player. It's a disaster.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it isn't bad at all, a little slower startup, etc... but it seems to render pages faster than IE... some plugins can cause problems but the basic ones work pretty well... i'm hoping they'll keep coming with updates, it has potential...

:)
pnw

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I installed Netscape 7 + found it much better than IE. I then thought, why not go all the way and use Mozilla (v.1.1)! However, it could just be my impression but Netscape 7 seems quicker than Mozilla.

dprlynch

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
Houston TX
I've been using Netscape 7 since it came out, and I LOVE it. The tabbed browsing is perfect - you don't have to go arranging multiple pages all over the place. Plus, it helps with pop-ups...if it's not in my "working" window, I don't have to deal with it.

And on a Mac, you just have to Quit the program and disregard the pop-ups/pop-unders. Sorry Windows users... you still have to go close out all those individual windows ;oP

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
If you were using Mozilla (very similar to netscape) you could stop pop ups by doing the following.

Go into the preferences, then advanced, scripts + de-select open unrequested windows. This will stop pop ups all together

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I ordered Netscape 7 on CD 2 months ago...

... and it still hasn't arrived. :-/

Are there any folks out there who haven't gotten their Jaguar yet?

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
FYI you can still disable popups with Netscape...

i switched *from* mozilla because i found it was lacking in the features i need, plugins for instance... mozilla was a bit faster (on my machine) but the stability and features make up for it.

i'd like to try chimera out, but i dont know... can anyone tell me if it supports the major plugins? and how to install it without compiling it myself? :)

pnw

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Sorry, that option for disabling the pop ups is not in Netscape, thats why I moved to Mozilla. Its strange because both programs are based on the same code. Maybe Netscape will get that feature in a later update.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by alex_ant

I haven't had any plugin problems with Chimera. Quicktime and Flash work, and also Java (I think). There are pre-built packages available at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/

you got FLASH running? are you talking about
simple flash code or a serious all flash site?
flash and chimera are NOT fully working
at this point.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Falleron
Sorry, that option for disabling the pop ups is not in Netscape, thats why I moved to Mozilla. Its strange because both programs are based on the same code. Maybe Netscape will get that feature in a later update.

Netscape preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plugins allows you to disable allowing webpages to "open a link in a new window", along with a couple of others (like hiding the status bar)... I always thought that was the popup disabler. Certainly I don't get popups anymore... I haven't used Mozilla in a while now, what's the popup disabling option called in it?

:)
pnw

samdweck

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Re: Netscape 7

Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Hey I just wanted to tell everyone that I have just downloaded Netscape 7 a few days ago and this is a BIG improvement over their 6.x version. I have been an IE diehard because it worked like it is suppose to and is fully featured, but I have been very impressed with the Netscape 7. It is faster then IE for rendering pages and I like the improvements in the design. If you have written Netscape off try this one out, I think a lot of you will like it.

Yeah w/e netscape is slow, I only use it for composer b/c html gets boring. My site is http://www.dwecktech.com

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
try chimera

based on Mozilla

Very lean, very fast, very compliant!

get it from mozilla.org

It's confusingly called Navigator on the launch screen, but as I say it is blisteringly quick and seems to handle flash and java pretty well.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My Bookmarks scroll so fast that I can't read them, let alone select an item! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.