Netscape Acting Strangely

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christine1234, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Christine1234 macrumors regular

Christine1234

I bought an iMac DV 400 at a yard sale. It kept coming up saying it was preparing to install OS X. It only got as far as the second installation question and then stayed there for 4 hours until I gave up and shut it down. I tried rebooting over and over, but it would stall out right there for hours each time. I could feel a disc in the slot and got it to eject. It was an OS 10.2 installation disk. Once that was out, the computer booted to OS 9.0.4.

It uses Netscape Communicator 4.7, and I would like to browse the web with it, but what shows up is not the pages I’m used to seeing. CNN News comes up as a bunch of links and things are on top of each other. Other pages behave similarly. It also freezes up. How do I deal with this? I tried going to a page to look for updates, but was unable to get enough of the page to download to see if this might work. I’m using another computer to type this.

I know it's an old computer, but I like the style and thought it would be nice to have another Mac.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Netscape is very old. Mac OS 9 is very old. I don't think there are any web browsers for Mac OS 9 that are still being worked on. I suggest upgrading to Mac OS 10.4.11 and putting in 1Gb of ram. It'll still be slow, but the Internet will be viewable.

3. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm not about to give up on turning this into a workable computer. It was fun to see OS 9 again, though. :)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Once you upgrade that old iMac with 1Gb of ram it should run Tiger/10.4 very nicely. I have it on my old 350Mhz G3 iMac and I was surprised at its speed. Much faster than Panther/10.3. They may be old, but they still have life.

5. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Excellent! Thanks again. I'll look around for a copy, but since it choked using a 10.2 disk, it'll probably need more memory first.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You may want to upgrade the firmware first. Here's Apple's support list that tell's you how: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283?viewlocale=en_US The update is required for your iMac to be able to run Mac OS 10.4. But you may have to first update OS 9 to 9.1. Here's where the updates are: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1387 My advice is to burn everything to a cd and install the updates form that.

7. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Many thanks for the links. I'll burn them to a CD. According to what's on the computer, the last time it did anything before I got it was in October of 2005, so it was sitting without updates for quite a while.

8. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

I'm having a frustrating time trying to download 9.1 to a disk. It doesn't give me an option to place it on a disk, and tries to download it to this computer. I have to shut down to stop it.

Trying to download it directly to the iMac doesn't work either, because netscape keeps crashing and won't stay open long enough to start the download. I did a lot of Google searches to see what might be wrong but didn't have any luck.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When you download the 9.1 update, use Firefox. Then, on a modern Mac OS X computer, extract the disk image from the downloaded bin file. Burn that disk image to a cd with the firmware update as well. You'll probably have to extract the disk image from the firmware update bin as well. Then on the iMac, double click the disk image and run the update.

10. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

That worked! Now it's running OS 9.1 and has firmware update 4.1.9. :D

After the holiday weekend, I'll contact an eBay seller who sells a lot of computer memory and have him help me get the right memory board(s). Right now it says it has 64MB built-in memory and 65MB virtual memory. After that, I should be able to put the new OS on it. Netscape is still crashing an awful lot, but once the new OS in on it, I'll use Safari. :D:D

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need two 512Mb sticks. It must be PC100 or PC133. Make sure you get the desktop size, not the smaller laptop size. Also, there isn't any difference between Mac and Windows ram. Other things to make sure it is, non-ECC and SDRAM. If you have any questions about ram compatibility, just post a link to the listing and someone will help you out.

By the way, what size hard drive is in that iMac?

12. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Thanks. Now I'll know what to look for.

It has a 10GB hard drive.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good, 10Gb should be enough for a installation of 10.4.11 and a few extra things. Just remember to keep at least 2Gb free for the system to use.

14. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Will do. I don't use a lot of memory for files, anyway.

The computer I'm on now uses 10.4.11, and the OS works great.

There's nothing like a few days of using OS 9 to make a person really appreciate OS X.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would work, but its for two 256 stick for a total of 512. You need two 512 sticks for the maximum of 1Gb. It will still run fairly well with only 512 in it though.

16. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

Thanks. I'll look for the two 512's to get all the memory possible.

P.S. Fixing Macs is kind of fun!

17. Knoodles, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

For $3 more you can get 1 512MB stick brand new. $46 total for 1GB.

iMac/G3 Memory

Even cheaper here

eBay

18. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

The memory is on its way, thanks! I went with the store because even though it's more expensive, they have a lifetime guarantee and the eBay seller has too much poor feedback, IMO, from items being bad when they arrived.

I also got a dongle to use with another Mac and a small tool kit for fixing Macs.

19. Knoodles, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

OWC is a very reputable company. Have made many purchases from them. Never a problem. Might not be a bad idea to change the PRAM battery while you're in there. It's accessible through the memory door if you have nimble fingers. Though the directions say to remove the shell. Done it many times through the memory door. Carefully observe the polarity of the battery and reinstall the same way. Be careful of high voltage near the CRT. Call them and they can add it to your order.

Battery

20. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

The batteries are on the way, too. The iMac defaulted to a date in 1904 the last time it was powered up. :eek: Steve Jobs wasn't even born yet!

I also got a battery for the G5 Power Mac which defaulted to 1967 the last time it was powered up.

21. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Yep. That's the sign of a dead PRAM battery. Have fun with your project.

22. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234