Netscape Firefox - link in new window?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spacecrawler, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Spacecrawler macrumors newbie

Spacecrawler

I just downloaded Netscape Navigator 9 for Mac osx. I had been using Netscape 7 all this time, reluctant to switch to Firefox (which works better with everything) only because I HATE tabbed browsing. I have switched off all the tab preferences, however one remains that you can't seem to change...

The new Navigator is essentially Firefox. The main reason I clung to Netscape 7 was because when you clicked a link while holding the N key down, the link would open in a new window. You cannot do this on Navigator 9 or Firefox (you can only hold down Command and Return keys or something to make a link open in a new window, which doesn't work for me).

So- my question is this; is there a way to modify the key commands and make Navigator 9 act like Netscape 7 in that when you hold down the N key and click a link, the link will open in a new window?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Sean

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

why not just set preference as open new windows instead of new tabs? then You can just click link, it will open new window, no need to hold down any key!

Attached Files:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

??? Gecko-based Seamonkey is currently the name of the browser that you knew as Mozilla, which was plug-compatible with Netscape 7. Seamonkey is still plug-compatible with Mozilla/Netscape 7. It is baffling why you would stick with a browser that time has passed by or futz with a browser that you don't really like when a fully-compatible up-to-date browser is only a download away.

4. Spacecrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Spacecrawler

Clevin:
    Like I said, the thing I want my browser to do is uneffected by the preferences. Like I said I have all prefs set to bypass tabs and open links in new windows- BUT that seems to ONLY refer to links that HTML indicates should open in a new window.
    What I want to do is open a link in a new window by holding down the N key while clicking the link, for a link that isn't supposed to open in a new window according its the HTML. The new Navigator 9 and Firefox do not do this like Netscape 7 does (you have to type Command and Return or something which, layout-wise, will not work for my needs). Netscape 7 and Safari are the only browsers I know of that do this, and Safari is pure garbage.

MisterMe:
    I generally do not like Netscape 7, too many bugs, crashes with certain web content (like the CNN website for example will crash my Netscape 7). BUT, I do value the link in new window while holding down the N key. It is the ONLY thing that keeps me using Netscape.

Is this Seamonkey the same as Netscape 7? If so I'm not interested. Firefox (and now Navigator 9) works perfectly (though Navigator 9 seems a bit slow) other than the tabbed browsing issue, which the preferences do not address.

Generally- What do you guys think is the best browser?

Sean

5. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I was faced with the same problem in switching to Firefox.. I dislike tabbed browsing as well. In Firefox all you have to do is hold down the 'Shift' key while clicking a link for it to open in a new window.. no need to press multiple keys as you suggested.

6. Spacecrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Spacecrawler

Eyebeaz,
    THANKS for the tip!!! I searched online and found the info about multiple keys required for opening links in new windows, but it seems the Shift key also works on Navigator 9 as well as Firefox. Cool. So that problem is somewhat solved.

But I'd still like to know what browser people think is the best. Navigator 9 seems a bit slow with some stuff.

EDIT- sorry I mispoke before, I meant the Command key plus clicking a link opens a link in a new window in Netscape 7 and Safari, not the N key. So, just replace N with Command in all my posts. :)

Sean

7. portent macrumors 6502a