Netshare and 3.0....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Excellerator, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Can anyone that has iPhone OS 3.0 and Netshare say if Netshare still works?

2. nockamura macrumors newbie

3. jonessodarally macrumors member

Ditto.

I feel like I'm part of a special club, having this app. Its like a small inner-community of iphone users. Glad I got it when I did.

4. brandonphoto macrumors newbie

hope it works

I use it for business at least two or three times a week. Not pushing a lot of data, less than 20MB a week. Paying AT&T an extra $20 a month to officaly tether for just that much data is ridiculous.

I'll report back when I get 3.0 installed.

EDIT: Just tested netshare and it works for me.

Although I am having trouble with the following incase anyone else is as well:
    1. getting notes to sync
    2. Getting all my contacts to sync (this was a problem with all previous firmwares too)
    3. And for some reason Calendars and contacts are syncing both over the air and via USB. You can select the ability to display "All from my mac" or "All from ........@me.com" account or BOTH! Very confusing at first. I just want everything to sync over the air. Is it possible to turn off USB syncing??

Thanks!

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

That's so true! I don't even use it much but it's for sure nice to have.

6. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea I remember it got pulled and then I was about to go to work the next day and checked MacRumors and it was back up so I bought it. I think I have used it twice maybe, but I still feel special.

7. nockamura macrumors newbie

Yeah, same here. I figured, would I rather have $15 or tethering for free? A few hours after I got it they pulled it for good. I'm just glad the app store was so disorganized it was put back up.

8. Biscotti macrumors regular

haha i caught it b/w it being taken off an on again b4 it was off for good.

9. taxman75 macrumors newbie

NetShare no longer stays active when the iPhone goes into sleep/autolock mode, as it did for all previous versions of iPhone software.

Previously the connection was maintained throughout sleep/autolock as long as the iPhone was connected to a USB port.

The downside, then, is that the screen needs to always stay on to be connected, making the iPhone's temp even HOTTER, and NetShare already could fry an egg on the touchscreen even at EDGE speeds.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this setback. But I can't get around it. If anyone else can, please post a solution.

Thank you.

10. nockamura macrumors newbie

Man...I didn't even know I could connect Netshare via USB. :confused: Oh well.

11. taxman75 macrumors newbie

Then you were right: NetShare didn't 'connect' over USB. But the presence of a computer USB connection would keep NetShare working during the display's sleep mode on the iPhone.

I know that sounds odd - and, it would not continue to work while charging from a simple power outlet, it had to be computer-USB... who knows why....

But it was mighty handy, though. And I'm sorry to see it lost.

Frankly, with so many people about to hack a USB/Bluetooth tether, you'd think someone upstairs would let them update the WiFi-based NetShare app with some needed improvements.

Instead of taking away a fairly important feature.

12. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Are any of you in or around the Boston/Providence/Worcester area? I'd love to get this app and was hoping someone might be able to help me out. If you could help, can you PM me?

Also, if you're gonna write back and say, "Why would anyone do that?" or "Sounds sketchy" spare yourself and everyone the time, I've already heard it.