Netshare coming back on the Iphone ( Not-verified)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr. Cabrera, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I was speaking with the Manager at my local Apple store ( the guy is pretty cool, definitely a down to earth guy)

We were talking about what apps we had installed ( we traded simplify media screen names, etc) and he showed me the one program I didn't have, Netshare

Anyways we were talking and he heard that Apple had bought Netshare and was planning on re-releasing it, either as a price/ monthly fee

Just a rumor, but letting you guys know if anyone has more info

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

on the nullriver website, it says:
    We've finally gotten in contact with Apple. Looks like the lack of communication was due to automated e-mail systems being employed on both ends, which resulted in e-mails being lost in transit. We're working with Apple to get NetShare back up on the AppStore.

there were also rumours of apple and at&t talking about a tethering deal

3. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

That was on August 4th. =\

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

ohh yeah its september. sorry :D i thought it was august 7th!

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I would have guessed that the likelihood of the manager in your local Apple Store having even the vaguest of clues about what Apple Corporate is doing in relation to individual applications in the App Store is remote.

6. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

hmm lets see

netshare --- check
    simplify media - check
    cool guy -- check

he's clearly an apple guy perhaps even a board member...

I have seen much worse/ill informed/etc rumors/speculations on this board

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

i have/am all those things, am i now a board member?
    :D

8. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

wow someones offended

im not saying its VERIFIED BY APPLE ZOMGZZZ

im saying i had info, unlike most people on this forum who just speculate

9. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

You had info from someone who was speculating. In my book, that's worse.

Why would an Apple Genius know anything, and just spill it? If they were told these things, Apple's products would never be kept secret. Basic common sense here.

10. BigAus macrumors member

Chill out people - the OP did say it was "just a rumor"

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

the title of this thread is very missleading. One would think it was comfirmed from a reliable source. A store managers comments does not constitute a reliable source.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Of course Apple needs to buy netshare. They don't have anybody in the company that could program such a thing without nullriver joining the team.

Jobs clearly doesn't even have an idea what an ad hoc network or a socks proxy is. Kudos to the team at nullriver for bringing cutting edge technology into Apple.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Old news.

There was already a rumor posted on the front page of MacRumors that Apple is in negotiations with ATT to allow tethering for a price.

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I just spoke to some guy that was a manager at an AT&T store somewhere and he related the following info to me: The people at Apple approached him with the revolutionary idea of tethering a phone to a computer.

According to him AT&T couldn't have been more enthused by this revolutionary idea and wanted to assist in every way they could to make this happen. They really seemed genuine about wanting people to be able to take advantage of the full power of their vastly superior network. The idea of people hooking their Macs to their phones and using Bittorrent was what really excited him.

Apple agreed with them but had to admit as great as this idea was that they just lacked the technical know how at this point in time. There were just too many hardware and software issues for them to hack out. That's when the negotiations fell through. Now with this new arrangement the deal can go forward

Now the guy that conveyed this to me was a manager and had netshare on his phone and seemed knowledgeable to me. I was somewhat in awe even to be in the presence of such greatness.

Every word I am telling you know is true, I swear it.

15. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

ok this is a valid complaint

I changed the title of thread

when did I say I believed it was true

The people flaming me clearly cannot read, I posted this as a rumor... oh hey looky I thought this was macrumors

the rest of you guys can...

16. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hey shenaniganz08, I wasn't flaming you - just saying that I don't think your local Apple Store manager has a clue what he's talking about.