Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I downloaded my version on the 1st but a friend of mine wanted it today so I checked , and it is gone from iTunes as of 4:45pm PDT on August 3rd. What in the hell is going on here?

:confused: :eek: :(

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I've just been reading some info here and there, I don't wanna get caught up in people's arguments over ethics for 10 pages but I just want to get the jist of what is going on with this app.

From what I gather, tell me if I'm wrong:

NetShare came out on the App Store and was available for like a day then it was not available for a day.

Then it was available for a few hours for day and taken down once again.

As of Sunday night it is still not available.

What is happening with people that have it?
Are you able to use it?
It seems like people are worried about being charged extra if they are using it.

Sorry for being lazy and not wanting to read through the other 20 threads, I just would like an overview instead of people's opinion.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I've just been reading some info here and there, I don't wanna get caught up in people's arguments over ethics for 10 pages but I just want to get the jist of what is going on with this app.

NetShare came out on the App Store and was available for like a day then it was not available for a day.

Are you able to use it?
It seems like people are worried about being charged extra if they are using it.

Sorry for being lazy and not wanting to read through the other 20 threads, I just would like an overview instead of people's opinion.

It still works for me. I don't use it a lot though, so I'm not too worried about data usage. I just checked my itunes order history and see the purchase in there, no refunds, so hopefully I get to keep my copy. I think I'm going to keep a backup copy of my itunes library in case.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Nevermind no refunds. I went to get a free app and iTunes said I had my balance out of order and then took out the 10 again. So they did not reimburse me. However I better not have paid 10 bucks for an app for which updates were promised and now get shafted out of it. If netshare doesn't go back up in the appstore apple should give refunds from their own revenues - they're the ones that let it go up in the first place.

Are you able to use it?

Basically there is some butting of heads between apple and at&t (and a lot of other cell phone companies i'm sure.). at&t doesn't allow tethering, or at least not without a special deal which is like 20 bucks a month extra or something.

For the lucky few who got it (myself included) it still works. people are indeed worried that perhaps at&t can find out about it (especially since apple knows who bought it) and will do evil things to you. A lot of people are saying that at&t can't track if you are using it due to a bunch of socks proxy mumbo jumbo that I'm too noobish to know about. Also we bought it legally in the app store BUT the at&t contract specifically says no thethering.. but on the other hand it says no to a lot of other crap that is allowed on the iphone (video streaming etc)

People assume that as long as you don't abuse it, at&t won't notice/care. Alot of people are saying that at&t has a 'soft' cap of 5gb which means if you repeatedly go over 5gb they will cancel ur contract (a good analogy i've heard is an all u can eat buffet for 6 bucks. if someone comes in every day and wipes the place out, the restaurant could not allow the person to continue the business)

So that is the gist of it. but yes, some people are scared that they will be slapped with fines and whatnot. I hope this helps

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
So shouldn't we be expecting an official response from either Apple or AT&T? I mean how did Apple let the application get all the way through the approval process, just to remove it? Shouldn't they have known what the app does and what it would lead to for AT&T?

macaron

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
not such a fantastic app

Besides legal matters:
Other users mentioned the fact:
the battery discharges extremely fast, leaving it in the red zone, even when the iphone is plugged in the outlet; and I wonder if doesn't work in the background after switching to another app, since the battery recharges very slowly afterwards.

I think the dream of tethering outside of a home or an office can last only a few minutes, leaving a phone completely discharged.
I am afraid netshare is not a practical tool as it is. Maybe an update will bring battery efficiency.

I think I will be forced to suscribe to a separate mobile data plan for my laptop.
Is the jailbreak tethering solution more battery friendly ?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Besides legal matters:
Other users mentioned the fact:
the battery discharges extremely fast, leaving it in the red zone, even when the iphone is plugged in the outlet; and I wonder if doesn't work in the background after switching to another app, since the battery recharges very slowly afterwards.

no way, the iphone doesn't allow background services.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
In the UK there is no charge for tethering, i used to do it on my Nokia N95 all the time, you just pay the data charges you incur or abide by the reasonable use agreement.

I have asked Apple for this functionality (via feedback) since v1.0 and they refuse to implement it, i'd happily pay.. and have for netshare.. for someone to provide this functionality.

So for the UK as far as im concerned theres no issue. If people abuse it you cap them, if not let them get on with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.