NetShare iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by evansls, Jun 25, 2009.

1. evansls macrumors regular

evansls

I bought NetShare when it first came out on August 1, 2008 knowing it would probably be removed from the store. I also bought it so I can use with an iPhone I would one day own. Well, my very first iphone (3G S) is on the way, to arrive in a week or two, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if they were successful trying to use NetShare?

I have version 1.0 of Netshare

Thanks!

Evan

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Netshare is now obsolete

With iPhone OS 3.0, tethering is baked into the cake. It's not yet supported by AT&T here in the US, but that hasn't stopped clever folks from finding ways of adding the necessary network config files to expose and activate sharing. For example, http://www.ismashphone.com/2009/06/activate-internet-tethering-now-on-iphone-os-30.html ...The instructions there enable tethering over USB and Bluetooth. It's astonishingly easy to set up and works really well, and no jailbreaking or other software is required.

WARNING: There are many open questions about how much the usage will cost, and what limits might be imposed by carriers or Apple, and if (for example) your first use of tethering might lock you into a two-year service-option plan at something like $60 a month. Anything is possible, so proceed at your own risk until your carrier has announced formal tethering support. Here, AT&T has not offered any clue regarding their pricing model or rules, except to say that they're coming later this summer, and they might well take punitive measures against folks who tether prematurely or outside the approved way of doing things. These are uncharted waters, for now.

In any case: No extra software is needed, and specifically NetShare is not needed, and I would really not recommend installing or using it or any other an app to do tethering now that it's a standard feature.

OS 3.0 is all that's needed-- so the above applies to the original 3G too. Not sure about the first-generation iPhone though. Tethering over Edge might be pretty painful anyway...

3. evansls thread starter macrumors regular

evansls

so......

So, even though other methods are said to work, my question is does Netshare still work?

I won't find out for a couple weeks when I try, but I was just wondering if anyone who still has it has tried.

thanks,

Evan

4. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Yes it does.

5. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I can verify that it also works on first generation (2G / Edge) iPhones, for what it's worth.

6. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

The difference between using NetShare versus using built-in BT tethering is that it's near impossible for AT&T to detect you're tethering via NetShare.. As it uses SOCK5 proxying, making it appear to the carrier you're browsing from your iPhone. With BT tethering, your iPhone acts as a 3G modem, and AT&T can easily tell you're browsing Internet via PC.. and can surcharge you accordingly.

So if someone has NetShare - I'd recommend that over BT tethering for now.

7. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Mike, are you using NetShare on 3GS phone, or original 3G?

So far, I am not having much luck with NetShare. The iPhone seems to switch over to WiFi as soon as I load up NetShare, making it impossible to use.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I use it with a 3G. You're connecting to wifi automatically because you're at an access point you've used before. Follow the instructions for setting up your computer and then go into the Network WiFi selector on the phone. Then you select the connection that's there for your Netshare setup. Just follow the instructions and it works.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

10. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

The issue is not that the iPhone is connecting to a wrong AP. I am manually connecting it to ad-hoc WiFi AP I created for NetShare.

The problem is that the moment I load NetShare, it switches the iPhone network to WiFi straight away. In the past, the trick was to load up NetShare quickly enough, where the iPhone still stayed in 3G mode. Now it seems to behave differently.

That's why I asked if someone successfully used NetShare on 3GS. Perhaps they changed something in hardware (between 3G and 3GS), in the way it selects the network type.

11. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The alternative to "quickly switching" is to not go into Netshare right away. You bring up the browser. It will attempt to make the connection via WiFi. When it can't retrieve the data and times out it switches back over to cell data. Then you use Netshare and it will route all data out of the cell connection.

There have been posts here after the 3GS came out that Netshare works fine.

12. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

OK, it was my own screwup after all. I had originally entered an IP address of my laptop in iPhone -> WiFi -> IP -> Router field. As soon as I cleared the Router setting, the "WiFi switching" issue is gone. I could have swore I had my previous 3G configured with Router IP, and it was working..

Anyway, can officially confirm my 3GS and NetShare are happy now :D

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Definitely no router IP. You're running an ad hoc connection. Glad you got it working.

14. evansls thread starter macrumors regular

evansls

This is really great news! Thank you all for your efforts testing it out.

Evan