NetShare Question for long time users

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by elgrecomac, Mar 2, 2010.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I downloaded Netshare when it was released and kept it in my library but really never used it much. I would like to start using it again but I have a question regarding the effect it has on your ATT bill:

For those how use NetShare regularly, has it had any impact on your
    cell bill/data plan and has ATT tried to target you for usage?

Thank you.

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I am in your same boat, so I can't tell you from personal experience. But from what I've read here at&t really has no way of being able to tell. I also haven't heard a single story about a person being charged extra.

That being said supposedly there is a 5GB "soft" limit. Meaning that if you start going over that there is a chance they could start charging you extra or terminate your data plan. But this is only speculation and I haven't really heard about this occurring.

You should be safe, just try to stay away from that 5GB if you wanna be cautious. Really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Have you tried to get your netshare to work. some of us (myself included) have been unable to get it to work since 3.1. But many others have. So who knows...

3. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well..

Was trying it today. Works fine on 3.1.3 but I had to muck around with the IP addresses: I used 192.168.10.9 on my mac and 192.168.10.8 for the proxy setting and the iphone.

4. Alejandro20 macrumors newbie

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I might have to try this later. We have been having the issue that the static IP address won't "stick".

So were you unable to get it to work with the one's suggested by netshare?

6. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Make sure you do this

When you enter the static IP and mask, make sure to press the RETURN key on the key board all the way down to the end of that section (Client ID and do it on that line as well, THEN your new IP address should stick. Originally, all I did was...after the Mask line, I hit the return key and exited the Setting app and went to NEtshare and that other IP address was there.) Keep me posted.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

nope. still not sticking... :(

EDIT: Ok I finally got it to work!!! :) of course I have no urgent need for it now but it's good to know.

On my mac: i used 192.168.0.9 for my IP with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. socks proxy of 192.168.0.1 port 1080

on iphone: static IP: 192.168.0.1 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0