Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsvdiddy

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm having the same exact issue. Has anybody found a fix or workaround?

Ditto. Having the same problem. Unable to have the Static IP save. When I click out of that Static IP screen (on the Wifi screen on the iPhone), it clears out no matter what I do. However that happened on my 3G too when I had updated to iOS4.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I'm having the same exact issue. Has anybody found a fix or workaround?

Ditto. Having the same problem. Unable to have the Static IP save. When I click out of that Static IP screen (on the Wifi screen on the iPhone), it clears out no matter what I do. However that happened on my 3G too when I had updated to iOS4.

JuNxXxReY posted the solution above. Set an adjacent IP address on your Mac based on what's shown on your iPhone. It doesn't work anymore the other way around.

Lakailb87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
San Francisco
I'm so glad I bought this app when it was available for such a short time. It comes in handy every now and then and great to know how rare of an app I have

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
JuNxXxReY posted the solution above. Set an adjacent IP address on your Mac based on what's shown on your iPhone. It doesn't work anymore the other way around.

While these setting do initiate a connection I can't get it to last for more than about 5 seconds before the app crashes. Does anyone have a solution?

Fuj101

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
quick shutdowns

I'm also getting quick shutdowns from 30-60 seconds. This is confirmed on both the 3g that I updated to OS4 as well as my iphone4 (running OS4). I also have a 2g that is still running 3.1 and that works perfectly.

Any solutions?

mbob

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I'm crossing my fingers 4.0.1 comes out and magically helps but deep down I know there isn't going to be a fix for Netshare.

TechWhore

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
I forgot I had Netshare until I saw this, can someone post detailed instructions on how to get it working?

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
i purchased it on my iPhone before it got taken down then my iPhone got screwed up before I had a chance to back it up to iTunes... needless to say, I haven't had the chance to use the app since :'(

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
So it is pretty simple to create an ad-hoc connection with a laptop and use Netshare but does anyone know how to do it on an iPad? I understand ad-hoc can't be done on a normal iPad but what if its jailbroken?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I forgot I had Netshare until I saw this, can someone post detailed instructions on how to get it working?

follow the steps listed in this thread -> https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5950329

then replace Step 3 (socks proxy setup ) as mentioned by JuNxXxReY

I successfully tested this with my MBA and iPhone 4. it crashed a few times, but working for few minutes now. Wish we could setup proxy on iPad though.

Edit: Not stable, crashes a lot, i got few pages to load. I really don't want to jailbreak. Trying to create my own app, searching around sample source code.

Fuj101

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
:( Something in OS4 is causing the program to crash prematurely. I just don't have the apple/app knowledge to figure it out.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
As per the crash logs, its reporting crash on some private API. May be Apple changed some of the private API, thats why Apple discourage the use of private API, it can be changed between OS versions.

Wish I could get a sample code somewhere so that we can build a new app.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For those lucky enough to have purchased NetShare when it was up for 24 hours will be glad to know it still works on iPhone 4. Used it to post this on my macbook :cool:

Actually, I believe it was only up for a few hours, then it went away, then it came back up for like an hour. It was during this second time that I was able to grab it.

Prematurely? When is it spposed to crash? :p

Haha, actually after about 20-30 minutes. But I always thought that was because of the 128mb ram on the iPhone 3g. I used it a lot that summer as my wife's old apartment didn't have any internet. The next summer, when we got married, I used BenM.at or whatever its called for tethering on my 3GS and 3.0. My connection there was actually decent enough to play xBox Live. I tethered over USB, output my signal over WIFI to my router via a bridge receiver, then that was output over ethernet to my xBox 360. It was super complicated but it got the job done most of the time. Then we moved down to my school and got real internets.

And by real internets I mean Mediacom Cable, which sucks, and actually probably doesn't deserve to be called real internets. My AT&T speed now is 4-6mbps down and 1.5-2mbps up. Most days Mediacom is 1mbps down and 1mbps up, and its supposed to be 12mbps! They actually came out and "fixed it" a couple weeks ago, but low and behold I come back from a couple week long business trip and its all jacked up again. POS.

Katin

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Found a Fix for NetShare App crashing

In order to fix NetShare app from crashing in iOS4 is to close out every process/tasks on iPhone. By doing so, double click on Home button and hold down an icon until it shakes and close them all out except NetShare. Works on iPhone 4 as I'm using it right now.

buddy1065

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
when you open Netshare the bottom on the iPhone shows

instructions >

click there and it will tell you how to use it.

I notice it seems to crash less or not at all on pages not full of adds and graphics.

doesn't seem to work at all with Windows 7
Gonna try Windows XP in boot camp next.

EDIT: No joy in XP bootcamp or Windows 7 on my Vaio Z with my iPhone 4. Used to work great with my 3gs.
If a JB does not come soon looks like the 2GB tethering plan with AT&T may be the only viable option, although it seems to work (but crash) in Snow Leopard.

I heard of torrents carrying Netshare but not sure.

Riley2323

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
The coup de grat is that is AT&T ever starts cracking down and you get caught, this app should provide some applomatic immunity!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.