Netshare with iPhone 2.1 software....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Excellerator, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I hope Netshare still works with 2.1 software. Knowing Apple they probably disabled it.

2. stevin macrumors regular

If they were going to disable it it would have likely done by now... I'm far more interested in them releasing 2.1 so that I can actually use apps without them spontaneously crashing along with my entire iTunes library being erased.

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i'm in the middle of back up and update.

any body figured this out yet? netshare still working on 2.1?

4. purepower macrumors newbie

Netshare Works On 2.1!!!

Just Confirmed:

NETSHARE WORKS ON IPHONE 2.1!!!!

Ive always had issues with NetShare registering the ip address I manually enter into the phone, but after connecting to your ad-hoc network and entering in your static ip (192.168.10.1), turn off and on (dont reset) the phone and launch netshare... everything works just peachy!:D:apple::D

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If you're in the United States...

How's that AT&T bill lookin? :D

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Care to back that up at all? I'm not sure what evidence there is that Apple has abused, let alone used, their ability to kill "rouge" apps. Try doing it yourself before making yourself look foolish.

7. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

about a million people have already confirmed that there are no extra charges for using netshare...... but i guess people pissed that they didnt get it in time will keep repeating this over and over

8. crazymexx macrumors member

crazymexx

$100 with work discounts. Unlimited text/data

9. purepower macrumors newbie

@niiro13

No additional charges, have even called att on my "excessive usage" and they said nothing would happen as long as i didnt break my 5 GB soft-limit. Ive been using netshare through 2 billing cycles now...

PS

Anyone have a good script to make an ad-hoc network with socks proxy?

I made an automator workflow "watch me do" that does it for me, but its kinda clunky and slow...

I found a script at macosxhints that makes one, but its not socks...

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, I don't care about using NetShare, considering I never get good reception in the places I would use it...

Just wondering, since you never know what AT&T might pull. Wouldn't be surprising if they did, anyway.

Blackberrys that tether without a tethering plan get reverted to a pay-per-use.

Just need an update every so often just in case :p.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I didn't see anything different on my first bill after using netshare. I didn't play games like WOW or do any Bit Torrent d/ling, just surfing.

I think light use and you would be fine. I find Netshare to limiting to be a true alternative to my laptop connect card. Only good as a backup IMO.

12. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

13. gottafly macrumors regular

I'm really bummed I missed this app. I "discovered" it after it had already been pulled.

Does anybody think there is a chance it could be rereleased or a similar apps made available.

Was is a paid app? I suppose there is no chance that there is a workaround on somehow "posting" it for those that missed it? (I know, wishful thinking)

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yes it was a $9.99 app. I'm sure some inventive people will/have found a way to do it without Netshare.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I wish another developer would try to get something like Netshare in the app store for a couple hours, so people could buy it real quick.

16. Linuss macrumors regular

Well, there are ways and places to get it still...

But I can't say because it's against the rules.

17. gottafly macrumors regular

C'mon, help us out here!!

maybe you can hint at how to find/get it w/o fully disclosing it...don't dangle this carrot and leave it at that!!! Please.

18. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since it against the rules to tell you where to find it, just do a Google search for netshare.ipa, I am sure you will find something. But you have to have a jailbroken phone to use it.

19. gottafly macrumors regular

sorry to bother with all the questions, but....

the original that was briefly released on the app store was able to be installed on a non-jailbroken phone, correct?

Am I correct in assuming that there is absolutely no way to install an app on the iPhone without getting it through the app store? Simply getting the app into iTunes wouldn't do it (ie. allow it to be installed)?

20. philgilder macrumors 68000

i dont have an applescript, but if you make an ad hoc network, and then go into settings you can create a location which has a static ip and SOCKS proxy

21. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct, you need to jailbreak the phone and use SSH to send it over. But I believe you have to change something for it to work. My phone isn't jailbroken so I am not sure what.

22. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, it just made me laugh that a simple sentence put your panties in a bunch. :D Did you read the word "probably".

23. TheCiscoKid macrumors newbie

Doesn't Work For Me

NetShare doesn't work for me... :(

When I launch it, it quits immediately.