Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinjas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone used this yet?

http://appstorefeed.com/apps/NetShare/

I didn't think they would be allowing any tethering apps like this on the iTunes store. I'm glad they did. I've used Socks proxies a little but I can't remember if SOCKS5 supports anything beyond just http proxy. I'm hoping it'll work with any connections or at least SSH along with HTTP.

I'm installing now, I'll let you know how it is.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I have to wonder if either AT&T had a change of heart (unlikely) or if this app isn't long for this world? Either way, any firsthand experience/reviews would be welcome as i'd love to buy it but $10 without any trial, etc... is a lot.

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Please let us know how this works, I can't believe they made such application available.

justinjas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I have to wonder if either AT&T had a change of heart (unlikely) or if this app isn't long for this world? Either way, any firsthand experience/reviews would be welcome as i'd love to buy it but $10 without any trial, etc... is a lot.

Might want to hold off on buying this. I got home and tried to get it setup with my laptop. I have the settings correct because I can ping the iphone and once I'm in the program, it tries to proxy me through but all I get is an attempt to download a 1 byte binary file on any site I go to :(. I'll try it out on another computer and see if it is just an issue with this one, but so far it isn't working.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Might want to hold off on buying this. I got home and tried to get it setup with my laptop. I have the settings correct because I can ping the iphone and once I'm in the program, it tries to proxy me through but all I get is an attempt to download a 1 byte binary file on any site I go to :(. I'll try it out on another computer and see if it is just an issue with this one, but so far it isn't working.

I've just installed this and it works fine. I set up a separate location rather than following the instructions exactly. I only tested the browser and iChat, but it does work. There's probably not many situations where I'd need this given the functionality of the iPhone, but it's nice to have just in case.

Please let us know how this works, I can't believe they made such application available.
Why not? This just adds the same functionality that's already available on pretty much every bluetooth phone that AT&T offer.

justinjas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I've just installed this and it works fine. I set up a separate location rather than following the instructions exactly. I only tested the browser and email, but it does work. There's probably not many situations where I'd need this given the functionality of the iPhone, but it's nice to have just in case.

Glad to hear someone else got it working, I'll figure out what the issue is on my end then.

Why not? This just adds the same functionality that's already available on pretty much every bluetooth phone that AT&T offer.

It's just that there has never been any mention of support for tethering on the iPhone data plan. I know with the blackberry plans through AT&T they charge extra for it. I think everyone was assuming it wasn't allowed and then this app came out of nowhere. That's my take on it at least.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
It's just that there has never been any mention of support for tethering on the iPhone data plan. I know with the blackberry plans through AT&T they charge extra for it. I think everyone was assuming it wasn't allowed and then this app came out of nowhere. That's my take on it at least.

I'm pretty sure this won't change the fact that tethering is not supported or allowed with the iPhone data plan. As you said, the same is true for the BlackBerry and all other phones.

But most people will only use this in an emergency. As long as you're not streaming full length movies or running a torrent, you won't be using any more data than you would using the iPhone apps.

Either way, another great addition to the app store. :)

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
I don't think people will have any problems with this app. I mean with all the apps that allow streaming music or VNC and a lot of others, I think at&t is just going to be more lenient regarding data usage.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hmmm...this does seem to be a pretty interesting development. This is pretty much the only reason I was tempted to do a jailbreak. Glad I waited. I'll gladly pay $10 if it works. Apple approved it, so they must know that it doesn't violate anything. Maybe they found a loophole in AT&T's contract and let this through to exploit it. Might be an iPhone only deal...since tethering isn't offered in any plans we get special privileges!!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dammit!! I just went to download it after confirming from a few other people that it worked and this effing message comes up:

The item you tried to buy is no longer available.

I'm so pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed out. Shoot.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Interesting. Looks like dss was right.

I don't understand why it was pulled. AT&T don't cripple any other phone. All sorts of apps, including tethering, chat, VOIP etc. exist for WM, Symbian and any Java capable phone. Given the amount of other crap in the store, it seems Apple is censoring the wrong stuff.

There is some consolation to those who didn't download in time... It doesn't work transparently with any app except Safari. Only apps that can be configured to use a socks proxy will work. Mail doesn't work and iChat needs configuring.

I'm glad I managed to download it though.

thechiman

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I installed this and I got it to work but only with iChat and the iTMS. Do I need to setup a DNS server or anything to get it to work while browsing the web or checking email? I'm running Leopard so I can confirm it does work on a mac, just limited at least in my case.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
I installed this and I got it to work but only with iChat and the iTMS. Do I need to setup a DNS server or anything to get it to work while browsing the web or checking email? I'm running Leopard so I can confirm it does work on a mac, just limited at least in my case.
See above post.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I hope they bring this back... if not, I'm hoping installer will have it soon enough.

johata3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
NetShare is actually back on the iTunes App Store! :)

Let us know if any PC users were successful.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Ahhh hah!! its there!!

now a QUICK question..

would this work as like a mobil internet, so if i bring my cpu out to the park with me, i can use the internet through my phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.