Netsuke iPhone 5 Lanyard Attachment

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jmann, Apr 24, 2013.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I haven't seen much word from people actually owning this. Mine just came yesterday, so I'll share my thoughts.

For those who don't know, this is a kit sold by Poddities (I bought it from amazon). It is a metal loop that is screwed onto the bottom of the phone to allow you to attach laynard hand straps or charms. The kit comes with a screwdriver to remove the original screws, a pair of custom screws and the metal attachment. It comes in silver or slate (slate is more expensive). I found it for about $10 online.

The installation was super easy and took less than five minutes.

My iPhone has had "loop" envy ever since the latest iPod touch was debuted with this feature. I like not using a case with my iPhone but was always worried about it slipping out of my hands. Since I've attached this tiny loop to my phone, I feel comfortable not using a case now because the lanyard keeps it securely around my wrist.

My first impressions are that the metal piece is thinner than I originally imagined and edges of the metal are a bit rough, but not too bad. Hopefully I can figure out a way to smooth it out a little bit. I'm overall very pleased with it.

Attached Files:

2. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

I don't have to say that this is incredibly ugly :p

But its your money and phone.

Anyway, a question: aren't those screws too thin to handle the iPhone's weight after a couple of weeks being hanged?

3. jmann thread starter macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It'd look nicer if I got the black version, but since it's low-profile, it's not really visible when using the device. I'm happy with it. :)

I'm not going to be wearing the phone, or dangling it along behind me, I'll be holding it, so the screws will only sparingly handle the phone's weight. The iPhone 5 is light anyway, I'm not concerned about that.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Smart idea for those that like straps and no case. Straps on phones are for kids IMHO but really genius place to put it.

5. Gemma214 macrumors newbie

Check out SHEPbungee.com... Attach iphone 4 or 5 to a lanyard and hold vertically or horizontally. It's an option that I prefer to a lanyard case or screwing items to my phone. Gemma

6. larrygornick macrumors member

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

How does the lightning connector fair? Is it looser than normal since not being fully inserted? (yes, that's what she said :rolleyes:)

8. larrygornick macrumors member

I disagree. She would not say that, if full insertion has not been made.

9. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

How did it affect plugging in the charger?? Curious to know if there were anything that hindered accessibility.