Network 10.3.9 -> 10.6 + printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markgodley, Aug 8, 2010.

1. markgodley macrumors regular

Hey,

having a bit of trouble with the network i have set up (g4 running 10.3.9), its mainly used for the laptops in our house to print. My laptop running 10.4.11 can connect to it and print fine... however my mum just got a new laptop running 10.6.8 (i think its .8.. whatever the latest one is) however it doesnt seem to want to find the printer that is on the network.

Ive installed all the drivers and RAW plugin. Ive also connected the laptop directly to the printer to make sure it can print ok and it printed fine... it just doesnt want to see the printer on the network, wirelessly. Not sure if its a compatibility issue between 10.3.9 -> 10.6.. but assumed it would work ok?

I go to prefs > printer and fax > add printer... but its just not in the list?

Any help would be great!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You know what they say when you ASSume? It sounds like you are use AppleTalk as your network protocol. This is supported by MacOS X 10.4, but AppleTalk is not supported by MacOS X 10.6.

You may try sharing your printer via Rendezvous, which has been called Bonjour since MacOS X 10.4. Also, there is no reason for your computer running MacOS X 10.3.9 not to be running MacOS X 10.4.11. Upgrade.

3. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

the main reason we havent upgraded is because my dad likes using thoth for newsgroups, its not supported in 10.4

How do i go about setting it up via bonjour ?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Absolutely not true.

Bonjour is on by default. To the extent that it requires setup, it is easier to setup than AppleTalk. Many printers are automatically setup when plugged-in and powered-up.