Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tendoboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
My dilema is trying to get items off my Jaz drive 1gb onto my iMac. I read up on a usb to scsi cable, some forums state it doesn't work. I have mostly images I need to get.

So either way, if I could hook up the jaz and network the 8500 to my new intel iMac and pull the items off- would be great, if anyone can help?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Honestly for something like this, without some intermediary device like an old iMac or eMac running 10.3 or 10.4, I would probably use Windows and Basilisk. If you install the Basilisk networking driver, and install like Mac OS 7.5, you can set up file shares and access them. Recent versions of OSX completely removed the Appletalk file sharing drivers, so it's a pain with a modern Mac.

I actually installed Windows XP (probably the best version for this) in a VirtualBox VM running in Snow Leopard, installed everything and pulled the data off a bunch of pre-PowerMac Quadras after putting the Snow Leopard Mac, the VirtualBox XP and the Basilisk Mac OS 7.5 in the same network and subnet. The big thing is to make sure VirtualBox is set up to use bridged networking instead of host networking.

COI or Classic-On-Intel might also work and require a few less steps, though I never tried this method.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Can you connect the 8500 to the internet and upload the images somewhere, then download them to the iMac?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Can you connect the 8500 to the internet and upload the images somewhere, then download them to the iMac?

You might be able to find an FTP program somewhere as that is one Internet protocol that hasn't really evolved in a very very long time. Unfortunately you are still at the point where you would have to find a way to get the FTP program on the old Mac, and about the only way would be filesharing method I mentioned above. Any browser that would run on that would be so archaic that you barely even visit google.com in it.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You might be able to find an FTP program somewhere as that is one Internet protocol that hasn't really evolved in a very very long time. Unfortunately you are still at the point where you would have to find a way to get the FTP program on the old Mac, and about the only way would be filesharing method I mentioned above.

I wouldn't run a media heavy site with an 8500, but I think even a really old browser should be able to navigate to a site to download Fetch. If he's running OS 8 or OS 9, it'd be even better. I have a Quadra 700 that can still do these things well enough, and it's a heck of a lot slower than an 8500. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.