Network a Laserjet 5MP: JetDirect or PS101 etc?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OrganMusic, Sep 9, 2009.

1. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Friend who is a recent mac switcher has an old Laserjet 5MP, 2 macs (leopard) and a Dell (winXP) notebook.

I have the 5MP set up with a usb-to-parallel cable to the iMac and it works fine, but of course no one can print when the iMac sleeps. He wants me to look into a print server of some kind.

Does anyone make a Parallel print server that supports bonjour?

It seems like the options are:

-Get a JetDirect of some kind.
    -Get a NetGear PS101 or something similar.

Which will be easier? It seems like the PS101 should work, but I've read of people having trouble setting them up. The Dell will likely be around for a while, and many of the print servers seem to need Windows for initial setup.

Thanks all, and no he's not going to get a new printer, this one is a bit slow by todays standards but works fine.

PS... what's the best VERIZON smart phone for a mac user?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I've helped others setup a PS 101 - but an old jetdirect is easier in my opinion (several connection options).
    Either should work. Get the cheapest you can find on eBay.

3. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Something like this?

I couldn't seem to find loads of info about it, but it seems like it should work...

How is something like that configured? That has a parallel port, so I assume it should work with most lasers? The 5MP is a small desktop model.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

5. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Good, so even though the specs don't list OS X as a compatible platform it should work? The config is just done via a terminal and not by proprietary software?

I read somewhere the 170x doesn't work properly on a 100T network, only 10T, which sounds fishy to me... I thought most routers are auto-sensing?

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't own a 170x. You are correct that routers can auto-sense. My older Jetdirect EX and 300X get auto-sensed.
    Mac OS X uses "standard" TCP/IP protocols, just like Windows does. You are correct that windows users get to use proprietary setup software much more often than on Macs. Setup on Macs is done in the Print & fax add printer dialog, not in the Terminal.