Network access through a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by papabill, Mar 13, 2012.

1. papabill macrumors member

I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure out how to connect my PowerMac G5 to my PC to get to the internet. I connect a cat5 cable to the two of them, the Mac recognizes the cable and creates an IP addy, but still will not connect to the network.

Is there a way to do this better. The PC in the shop accesses the internet (network) via wireless NIC, and the Mac is wired to the PC.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Network switch or Airport Express Base Station...

3. simsaladimbamba

Why can't you wire the PowerMac to the router?
    You could try this.

4. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, the router is in the house, this Mac is in the 'shop', about 250 feet behind the house.

----------

Good idea, but not practical. I cannot afford an Airport Express Base (even from eBay).

5. simsaladimbamba

What about enabling internet sharing like shown in the video I linked to, unless you have an older version of Windows, for which you might need/find another guide?

6. papabill thread starter macrumors member

I just watched the youtube, and I have already done that. I have XP, but the methods are the same. The Mac recoginizes the cable, gives an IP address, but still no connection, either to the PC or the network.

7. simsaladimbamba

Then I am out of stuff, as I can't test it to help you more. Sorry.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

After you did what was in the video (forget the FTP stuff), did you try this:

Go to "System Preferences" and select "Network" and then select "Built-In Ethernet" from the "Show" pop-up menu.

Select the TCP/IP tab to display Ethernet connection TCP/IP options. Select "Using DHCP" from the "Configure" pop-up menu and then click "Apply Now."

Your Mac should now be able to access the Internet through your PC.

9. eschw95458, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

eschw95458 macrumors member

Two things
    1) are you using a crossover cable?? Without a switch in between the mac and the pc you will need this.
    2) As the previous poster said, either set it to DHCP, or go into the macs settings and enter the ip and gateway and dns manually.

......I suspect the address you are getting on your mac is self assigned. Please give us that number, and then goto your pc click on start, then run and enter cmd. In the cmd box enter ipconfig and tell us the ip address and router numbers from your pc

10. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'm headed down there now and will try that. At any rate, if I can, I'll log on to the PC and come back here with results.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, did it work?

12. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Not true. Mac automatically detect what kind fo cable is connected, and adjust accordingly.

Otherwise, same as Macman45. Get a switch, or a wired router. These go for less than 20$, used. I sell mine for that price.

13. eschw95458, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

eschw95458 macrumors member

I stand corrected. You do not need a crossover cable for this. Your G5 will auto correct. (Here is the list from apple) I just tested this on my c610 laptop running xp sp3. You didn't say if you were running home or pro but here is what I did for xp pro sp3

On the pc Goto network connections --> on wireless connection right click --> select properties --> select Advanced tab
    Check allow other users to connect through this computers network connection then click on the settings box just down and to the right. Make sure these services are selected DHCP - DHCP - DNS - HTTPS - HTTP. and if you want mail select smtp and pop. (if it is only you using the machine just check them all) when you check these a box will open. just click ok on them. Click OK when you are all done checking boxes.

Now in the network connections area look to the left, select setup home or small office network, follow screens until you get to the screen that says Select a connection method. Pick the first one it should say other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer. click next and choose your wireless connection that you previously shared --> click next and finish the wizard. It should ask you to restart. click yes and wait until it restarts.

After that is done, on the mac goto sys preferences --> network open your eithernet connection and select use dhcp. click ok and enjoy the internet.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^
    I don't think the OP cares. I'm assuming my fix worked for him, but we"ll never know, since he never bothered to update. Lame.

15. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's lame not to update when you are in the hospital. Really lame. How thoughtless of me.

----------

Nope, it didn't. I don't know what the problem could be, but nothing seems to make the two computers talk to one another, and the Mac will not acces the internet through the PC. Back to the drawing board.

----------

I tried using a wired router and two known-to-be-good cables, but again, it didn't work. I'm at the end of my rope. I cannot get either machine to talk to the other. It's got me beat.

16. Cubytus macrumors 65816

If you wired-ly connect two machines with known-good cables and known-good router and known-good modem, and you are able to properly configure the router, or switch, and it still doesn't work, then you (i.e. your setup) have a serious problem.

If only one machine can access the Internet, there's an issue on the other one.

Since bridging connections in Windows is not an exact science, I suspect something isn't properly configured in your router. If you can, post pictures of configuration pages from your router (no hi-res needed). Finally, if you are unlucky enough to have a D-Link... Pay attention to how the lights flicker. Film it if you can. From experience, there were the only way I knew I shouldn't have upgraded its firmware.

Perhaps posting a video (screencasting) of you trying to get access to the network would be helpful. Quicktime can do it for free.

I know that post may not be helpful, but at least I'm trying.