Network advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcmorgan540, Nov 27, 2010.

1. rcmorgan540 macrumors member

Hello, I need some advice on how to set this up. This is what I have in the mix:

- Linksys WRT-54G (DDWRT Running ((Main Router))
    - Mac Mini wired to router Ext. HDD serves media to ATV's
    - Old iMac 802.11b (?)
    - 2003 PPC G5 Wired
    - Mac Mini Late 2010 (N Wireless) Ext. HDD serves all media
    - 2 Apple TV (new) Jailbroken and running Plex
    - Xbox 360 (currently wired to Linksys WRT-54G DDWRT Client mode

I have a new model Airport Extreme (N) that is still in the box and not being used.

My house is 90% on one level (about 2800 square feet). I have a small loft above the garage which is where the PPC and old imac and mini are housed. The cable modem and router are up there as well.

I pulled the plug on the new airport extreme because the signal was nowhere near as strong as the linksys running ddwrt. I was also having trouble getting the xbox to connect to the router wirelessly if any encryption was on (WEP , WPA , WPA2 ... did not matter)

I want the 2 ATV's to use the N. I am streaming from that computers external storage.

Any ideas? Should I ditch the Airport extreme and buy a new N Router? Use another router as a repeater ..... any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

If you are just looking to extend your network, you can get an Airport Express. Its configuration lets you extend the network of any existing wifi network.