Network Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pili, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Pili macrumors regular

Hey guys, as most of you guys know college networks are pretty restricted in a lot of areas. So far I've had to register the MAC address of my airport to allow it to get on the network which works allows me access but the issue is that my browsing speed is spotty at best. I know the speed is there, downloading files and such is very quick, but connecting in the first place seems to be the issue. This happens across all applications as well. Initially connecting with adium, colloquy, etc may take a few tries.

I've also noticed this doesn't seem to happen when I'm booted into windows and browsing so I'm pretty sure its something os x is doing.

The best way to describe the issue would be that its similar to browsing on dialup at times, everything loads very slowly if it connects at all. But then after a few minutes it will pop back and everything is quick again.

Just wondering if there's anything I can tweak on my end to improve things.

2. Pili thread starter macrumors regular

It seems that turning off IPv6 and changing the speed manually in the ethernet preference window did the trick. Just updating for future reference.