Network All-In-One Laserjet Printer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pengapine, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Pengapine macrumors member

Need some recommendations from the forum. I have been researching this on the forum and online, but doesn't seem like anyone has an definitive printer that fits the bill.

I am looking for a mac-compatible All-In-One LaserJet printer that will work over the network when I plug it into Airport Extreme via usb (or separately via Airport Express). Preferred features to have:

- Ability to scan to pdf
    - print duplex if possible (real duplex please).
    - Monochrome is fine

Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd get one of Brother's network-enabled multifunction printers. My parents have two older non-network MFC models that both handle quite well for scanning and printing when connected via USB, and the two lower-midrange network Brothers we've run at work have handled heavy duty without complaint. The toner is reasonably priced as well, so long as you get one of the models that accepts the high-capacity cartridges.

The advantage of getting one of the network models, rather than a USB-only one and hooking it to your Airport, is that you don't need to rely on the Airport to do the sharing--the printer handles it itself. I admit I've never tried network scanning from a Brother, but I know network printing works fine, and they claim Mac compatibility for the scanning as well (USB scanning is definitely fine). They also claim to do scan-to-PDF, although I don't know if that's just software based (probably). Brother's duplexers are also relatively reliable in my experience (I've had problems with some printers jamming on larger duplex jobs, particularly if you're using recycled paper).

Specifically, check out the MFC-7460DN -- wired network interface built in, does automatic duplexing, color scanner with a sheet feeder, and it's not all that expensive considering what it does. The MFC-7860DW is pretty much the same with wireless networking, so you don't even need to have it near the base station. There are also higher-end models that have extra features or higher duty cycle, if you want to pay more.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Thanks for that. I've been looking around a bit for a new one too. (Replacing old Canon inkjet..wanting b/w laser for longevity). Any idea if the model that you listed is new or old? Amazon has it listed for $400 (Brother $250) and out of stock. Staples is $250 delivery only.