Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Currently I have an Arris cable modem connected to an Airport Time Capsule and using the Airport Ethernet ports I'm connected to a Synology DS716+ and an iMac.

Is there a better more efficient architecture?

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I want to make the best of what I have. For instance, is it better to connect the cable modem to a switch and have the NAS and iMac and Airport Time capsule connected to the switch?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I want to make the best of what I have. For instance, is it better to connect the cable modem to a switch and have the NAS and iMac and Airport Time capsule connected to the switch?

Only if you're running out of ports on the Airport. But if you add a gigabit switch, it's not going to speed up or slow down performance vs. what you have working today.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Only if you're running out of ports on the Airport. But if you add a gigabit switch, it's not going to speed up or slow down performance vs. what you have working today.

Ok then. Super. Thank you for that. I'll leave it as it is and be happy in the knowledge that I'm going as fast as I can with what I have.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Ok then. Super. Thank you for that. I'll leave it as it is and be happy in the knowledge that I'm going as fast as I can with what I have.

1. You have to tell us if you use an ISP modem (model too) or your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

2. Tell us if your have the latest CAT 6 Ethernet Cable with an 1000BadseT Switch!

3. If You are using wireless do you have an AC Dual pane router tell use what brand?

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Without knowing more details, I would ensure the following:

- Use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports as much channel bonding as supported by your ISP.
- If your devices support gigabit, use a CAT6 ethernet cable for the connection. (e.g., modem to router, router to nas, router to desktop, etc.).
- Whatever 802.11 flavor your devices support, ensure you are using the least crowded channel in the area, and if the crowding in your area is minimal, enable wide channels for more bandwidth.
- Try to place the wifi router as close to center of your household as possible, and away from any walls or large metal objects if possible.
- If possible and practical, run an ethernet cable to devices that don't move often (e.g., run one ethernet cable to your entertainment center, to a switch, which you can connect your to your roku / appletv / firetv / smarttv / xbox / playstation / whatever).
- Use opendns on your router, and dnscrypt if supported, to ensure faster and secure dns lookups.

SpittingImage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
@SpittingImage You want all devices to be connected to the router. If your AirPort is performing router functions (DHCP & NAT) then you should have all devices connected to its Ethernet ports.
Thanks for the advice. I knew I'd get some great info here.
[doublepost=1453335658][/doublepost]
1. You have to tell us if you use an ISP modem (model too) or your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

2. Tell us if your have the latest CAT 6 Ethernet Cable with an 1000BadseT Switch[/url]!

3. If You are using wireless do you have an AC Dual pane router tell use what brand?

I'm using my own Arris DOCSIS3 modem.
I'm using CAT 6e cables. I'm not using a switch. Not sure what a 1000Badset is.
I'm using an Airport Time capsule as a wireless router and to feed the NAS and the iMac.
[doublepost=1453336351][/doublepost]
Without knowing more details, I would ensure the following:

- Use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports as much channel bonding as supported by your ISP.
- If your devices support gigabit, use a CAT6 ethernet cable for the connection. (e.g., modem to router, router to nas, router to desktop, etc.).
- Whatever 802.11 flavor your devices support, ensure you are using the least crowded channel in the area, and if the crowding in your area is minimal, enable wide channels for more bandwidth.
- Try to place the wifi router as close to center of your household as possible, and away from any walls or large metal objects if possible.
- If possible and practical, run an ethernet cable to devices that don't move often (e.g., run one ethernet cable to your entertainment center, to a switch, which you can connect your to your roku / appletv / firetv / smarttv / xbox / playstation / whatever).
- Use opendns on your router, and dnscrypt if supported, to ensure faster and secure dns lookups.

Thanks fir the reply.

Yep DOCSIS 3 modem. Xfinity recommended. CAT6e cables between the modem and router and to the NAS and iMac. I'm out in the sticks and the cows don't have Internet so I don't think other wireless traffic is a problem. Pretty much stuck with the router against a wall. When they release a replacement for the Airport I'll move the current 802.11ac upstairs. As the entertainment devices, I have a couple of iPads, no TV, etc.

Can you explain about the opendns and dnscrypt please. I could give that a try.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for the advice. I knew I'd get some great info here.
[doublepost=1453335658][/doublepost]

I'm using my own Arris DOCSIS3 modem.
I'm using CAT 6e cables. I'm not using a switch. Not sure what a 1000Badset is.
I'm using an Airport Time capsule as a wireless router and to feed the NAS and the iMac.

It was my fat fingers, I meant to to say 1000Base T.

When I was talking about a switch I meant something like unmanaged like this one.

About OpenDNS it's a service for DNS that you, as user can manage your DNS to block sites. Here is a video to setup (I know thus is older but you'll get the idea). They use PhishTank.com to help,them block known reported Trojan hosting sites, domains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.