Network at home? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mezlo, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Mezlo macrumors newbie

I need a bit of help, i am going to move into a new house soon. I am looking to network the house, so i can use the internet anywhere, share movies,etc..

This is my current setup at my apartment.

1 x Mac Mini connected to my TV in the lounge
    1 x Apple TV connected to the TV in the bedroom
    1 x Main PC in the study room (which all my movies/tv series/music/etc... is stored)
    2 x Laptops
    1 x Apple 20" Cinema Display

The mac mini is connected via ethernet to the router & the apple tv is connected via wifi. Its currently a small place so the apple tv can access the router's wireless signal.

This is what i have in mind for our new house which kinda big in size

Trash the PC and buy a mac mini server and external NAS storage. The NAS storage will store all the movies/tv series/mp3's/etc...

I currently have a ubiquity nanostation2 which i can setup to boost the wireless signal throughout the house so we can use wireless anywhere in the house & tv mac mini, laptops & apple tv can access the wireless (so i do not have to install ethernet cables throughout the house)

Also in the future, i would want to install security cameras outside the house (still trying to find a good mac os x security camera software)

Before i buy the mac mini server & NAS, am i missing anything or is there another better solution?

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Sorry didn't read your original post carefully enough. Disregard.

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I'm no expert but it seems to me you could use a Time Capsule instead of a NAS, depending on the amount of data you need to store.

4. ray648 macrumors regular

A Time Capsule could be used to provide both NAS and a wireless access point, but it is by no means the cheapest or best way of doing it. If you are trying to cover a large area with wifi then pick up an access point you can attach an external aerial to, and place it as centrally as possible.

I never understand peoples reluctance to install network cables in their houses. If a device is staying in the same place the entire time (desktops, apple tv, etc), I see no reason to use wifi on them unless there is some reason cables can't be run. You will get much better performance out of a cable than wifi, especially when doing large file transfers.

5. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Also in the future, i would want to install security cameras outside the house (still trying to find a good mac os x security camera software)

I too am interested in Mac OS X security camera software

6. Mezlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is i already have a ubiquity nanostation2 & having a strong wireless signal throughout the house and even outside the house will give me options of saying using my laptop outside maybe by the pool side or whatever.

NAS is generally very expensive but it will also give me the option of adding more harddrives as i go on.

I am also looking for a neat setup so having cables lie-ing around is a big NO NO. I am probably going to attach a printer as well.

Will the mac mini server handle all of this?

7. Mezlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Point montycat - People should post guides for security cams on mac os x!

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well if you are buying a nice little mini server why not store all your stuff on there rather than buying a separate NAS?

If your looking for small and neat setup how about a Drobo running over FireWire to your mini server? You can get a bunch of different models with expandable storage for your movies and mp3s :)

9. Mezlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Can the Snow Leopard Server also be used as a normal Desktop OS like using normal apps like itunes/iwork/games/etc...

10. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yeah it does, its basically the same OS at the core with added with a number of added server features so you can still use it as normal